Friday, October 20, 2017

Going Solo

I had the opportunity to listen to a talk by Anita Yusof, the first Muslim female/Asian to travel alone around the world on a Yamaha FZ150i. She shared the challenges she faced, the journey (of course), the experience, the ups and downs of her trip, and some pictures she took along the trip. But I especially understand and relate to what she said towards the end of her talk about being and feeling so close to Allah when she travelled alone. I feel that too on my trips. When I’m all alone in a strange land, I talk more to God. I pray, I lament, I glorify Him whenever I come upon beautiful sights, I talk to Him, I beg Him to help me catch the bus/train and that I’ve not missed it, I ask Him to help keep me and my family back home safe, well and healthy. This makes me feel closer to God. I only have Him and myself to rely on at all times. So yes, I do understand what Anita meant about being so much closer to Allah on our respective solo trips.

There are those who frown upon ladies, especially Muslim ladies, travelling alone. Yes, by right, this is not a done thing. But if I have to have and wait for a mahram to be available to accompany me on my trips, I may never be able to go on one. It’s like going to perform Haj: if I had to wait until I have a mahram or husband, then tell me what I should do if I’m not ever blessed with jodoh? Do I wait and wait until I have a mahram available to accompany me or do I not go in the end when Haj is an obligation on all Muslims who are able to make the journey? Alhamdulillah, I had my brother then who was going so I managed to go under the premise of him being my mahram, never mind that he departed from Johor Bahru, under muasassah and different flights and departure/arrival dates altogether. So at least I managed to perform Haj then (but Allah, I so badly want to go again because You know why). But what about other trips? Am I not allowed to embark on any trip then?

I believe Allah is Most Compassionate and Understanding and that He understands my need for travel. It’s not that I embark on trips for the wrong reasons. I don’t take hedonistic debauched trips. I still observe my dietary requirements strictly and I don’t miss any prayers because I’m a Muslim wherever I am, not just in Kuala Lumpur. This is important to me because I see a lot of plastic Muslims who drink and generally behave in ways not exemplary of Muslims the instant they’re away (oh but you’re not supposed to say anything and just mind your own business because who cares about your faith – Muslims should forbid evil with his hands (action), tongue (words) or his heart and the last is the weakest of faith).


Anyway, back to travelling solo. I feel free, liberated, happy and at peace when I travel alone. It’s an almost religious experience when I take in new surroundings unfiltered and without the influence of others’ prejudices, tastes or preferences. Going solo provides me the opportunity to know myself better and indulge myself fully. I can go at my own pace and not have to slow down or sigh while waiting for others or enduring others’ impatience when I’m slow. Any mistakes I make are my own, I have no one else to blame them, so it makes me accountable and my triumphs all the more enjoyable. Indeed, there are so many benefits to travelling solo that I don’t know why more girls don’t do it. I do join tours now and when I do, I prefer joining one where I don’t know most of them so that way, I could make new friends. It might be fun travelling with a group of girlfriends but I’m so used to travelling alone and so used to my own company that I may resent intrusion into my privacy. Besides, why not meet new people and make new friends?