Thursday, October 02, 2014

#30Stays: First Trip Abroad

My first trip abroad was across the Causeway to Singapore with my parents and Akak. We had a few relatives in Singapore (my parents are from Johore and when Singapore divorced itself from Malaysia, my dad’s sister stayed on in Singapore and became a citizen of the republic.). I think I went there at least twice: I recall a HDB unit and on another visit, we stayed at a relative’s house.


My first trip abroad by plane was to Perth when I was 7. Dad was there for nine months and we went to visit him a month before he was due to return. It coincided with our year-end school holidays. We came back around Christmas and I remember thinking how it sucked that we couldn’t experience winter but how awesome it was that we could enjoy barbecue. We had to transit at Halim Perdanakusuma Airport on the return leg and it was then when I was introduced to the concept of paid washrooms.