Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What A Difference A Day Makes

I haven’t watched a movie in ages; the last movie was Inception way back when. I’ve been wanting to watch Red for a while and only managed to find an agreeable time on Saturday. I need something to cheer myself up and what better venue than KLCC where I can also indulge in a spot of retail therapy after the movie. I enjoyed the movie and laughed at some scenes. Highly recommended.

~~~~~~~~

We visited Mummy on Sunday morning. Abah wanted to leave before the sun rose high and I hastily gathered some flowers from the garden to bring. I still feel sad that she’s down there in another world and we’re up here. I pray I will meet her again, even if it’s in a dream. Adek misses you so much, Mummy. What a difference a month makes; you were with us then and now you’re gone ;’(

~~~~~~~~

I’ve been trying to encourage a colleague to master English. She does attend some English classes but I don’t think her English has improved that tremendously. I have advised her before that she must start to think and talk in English and she said that was what her English teacher said too. Recently, lent her a novel written in simple English and not too difficult. I was surprised to find the novel in my tray yesterday morning; she had returned it without even reading a page. I felt a mixture of anger, disappointment and frustration that my attempt to help had been rejected and without a valid reason too. I asked her why she returned the book and she said she doesn’t have the time to read it. Not even during the long time spent commuting into the city? She replied she prefers reading Quranic verses on the way to work and is usually too tired to attempt reading on the way home. I asked if she could change her routine by reading the novel in the morning and the prayers on the way home and she questioned why I felt I had to change her routine. I was taken aback and said I was merely suggesting that she change her routine/ritual; to me, there’s nothing wrong with change as long as she gets her daily prayers done, I don’t see any problem with it and I don’t think God will. She remained obstinate and said she’s used to the routine. Finally I told her that I too read Quranic verses on my way to work and yet still try to find time to read too. After all, you don’t just have to read Quranic verses; if you read something, it’s also considered ibadah - just like you don’t have to sit at the prayer mat the whole day because work in any form is also considered ibadah. I then muttered that it seemed like she’s giving excuses not to read the novel (oh, my children might tear up the book; I might end up borrowing it too long (to which I replied, my sister borrows my books for years); I don’t have the time...).

You know what? Fine. Remain this way for all I care. Reject any help or attempt to help you improve your English. Better still, prepare some ready excuses to answer back. Some people just don’t want to help themselves.

Oh, and your excuses are simply irritating.

~~~~~~~~

Finally, a bit on Arsenal – I can’t go too long without talking about Arsenal: it provides me sanity, grief, joy, heartache, despair, cardiac arrest etc (and yet, as hazardous and dangerous as it is to my health, I still go back and watch them play again). After the let-down at home last weekend, who would have thought Arsenal would close the gap with Chelshit to two points from a potentially eight-point gap? That’s football for you. A day can make a difference (and Ibra thinks so too) so think what a difference a week can make. Of course, I know that had we not drawn at Sunderland (or missed the penalty) or lost to WBA or Newcastle, we would have been runaway leaders by now. But I’m just happy we picked ourselves up and gunned down the Wolves with two shots with Chamakh scoring the fastest goal for the club and Cesc apologising after the match and that we repeated our fantastic away form (except for that trip to Sunderland) at Goodison Park, holding off a late fight back from Everton to claim all three valuable points.




Chamakh made a bookend record
I was so happy to see Sagna score
And my baby scored too!


Eid Mubarak to all Muslims.