Monday, June 01, 2009

How The Weekend Was Spent

It was an early start to Saturday as I had to make the cross-city trek back to Ampang for my 10 am dental appointment (yes, I know there are other dentists out there elsewhere but I prefer my dentist). I pride myself on my diligent dentist visits (and, ahem, my dental hygiene though alas, my pearly whites are not white) – although this time my visit was two months late. Of course I can think of better things to do on Saturday mornings than sitting on the dentist’s chair with my mouth open wide (I don’t know why I keep having this image of a lion with its mouth open wide, wait, maybe it’s because I once saw a lion with a tooth job) but I like the comfort of knowing I have no tartar build-up and more importantly, no cavities. Actually I find it very awkward being on the dentist’s chair because I can never figure out what to do and what my tongue is supposed to do while the dentist is working on my teeth. I try to hold keep still and hold my tongue in place if I remember but sometimes I can’t focus on anything besides bracing myself against pain (I’m too tense. And I hate pain. I have low pain tolerance level). And there’s the thing about trying to swallow too; my throat got so dry and wanted to swallow so badly but I couldn’t, not with my mouth open wide like that. It’s a good thing the dentist has good music taste. I note on every visit that the clinic tunes in to this cool music station and it helps take my mind off the dental work.

After the appointment, I popped over to the second-hand book shop at Ampang Point, my source for second-hand books. It was having a sale over the weekend; unfortunately it was the Moving Out Sale. According to the girl behind the counter, there would no longer be outlets of the second-hand book store anywhere but there will still be the occasional warehouse sale at selected venues (which may not be convenient for me to go). I ended up buying ten books (three comic books, three travel guide books and four novels). Guess my main source for second-hand books after this will be the SPCA jumble sales (which are only held semi-annually).

My parents then came to pick me up and we went to KLCC for Abah’s birthday lunch. It was either the late night or the early morning or the generous lunch portion but I was already trying to control my yawn even before my meal was completed. We are not big eaters and rather than let the untouched food go to waste, we asked the waiter to pack it up for us.

The rest of Saturday was spent watching TV – the French Open (I was cheering for the local lads Gaël Monfils and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga – he’s Charles N’Zogbia’s cousin! What a small world! - and they both won over their respective opponents), Project Runway and a bit of the FA Cup.

Sunday was spent on a bit of retail therapy at my favourite store. I consciously tried not to spend too much as I’m planning to buy my tote. It was a hot and humid Sunday but despite threatening to rain (with thunders and all), it eventually didn’t.

Watched Robin Soderling beat Rafael Nadal in the first set before losing narrowly in the second and beating him again in the third. I had to switch off the TV half-way through the fourth set (heck, I have to work today) but as we all know now, Rafael Nadal will not be lifting the French Open trophy for the fifth time. Who would have thought that? Yes, footie season has ended so we might as well watch other sports now. And tennis can be very mesmerising indeed especially with all the upsets; Nadal has joined Novak Djokovic and Venus Williams to be among the casualties so far. What’s next after the French Open and Wimbledon?

Oh and while Soderling has dimples in both cheeks (how unfair is that? For a bloke to have not one but two dimples!), he doesn’t look very cute (nowhere as cute as Messi or Shava).

~~~~~~~~

It doesn’t look too good for Big Brother. There is a high possibility that he has the dreaded C-disease. I don’t know what stage he is in – that will only be confirmed tomorrow I think – but I hope he’s strong enough to acknowledge the fact and fight on. Because it’s in times like these that mental strength is as important, if not more, as physical and spiritual strength.

I wonder how my dad is taking it all in. He had already lost his eldest daughter to the C-disease many years ago. It’s a cruel thing for any parent to survive his/her child(ren) instead of being survived by the child(ren).

If you can find the time, please make prayers for my brother for him to get well soon. Thank you in advance.

~~~~~~~~

I left Abah’s birthday present at home this morning and surprise, surprise, he has already opened it. Apparently the sandals are one size bigger and as such he doesn’t want to wear them outdoors. So he will wear them indoors instead (like the Koreans, we wear slippers indoors too) – and Crocs sandals at that!

~~~~~~~~

Oh dearie me. It’s already June. Wake me up already - though I doubt I have been sleeping all these while. Where did all the months go?





Oh and belated congratulations to Nando for tying the knot, oh la la, to Olalla Dominguez (she’s seven months’ pregnant, mind you).

Oh and even Pato is getting married. He and girlfriend Sthefany Brito will marry on 7 July 2009.

~~~~~~~~

Another blogger has announced that she may not be updating for some time, in fact she may not update ever again. Not great as I have one less blog to read/follow and the few who do still occasionally blog don’t do it very often too.

*Sigh* What’s a girl to do?