Thursday, June 04, 2009

Fit Flop

I have heard of the above brand of flip flops before but only had the chance to really examine some pairs on Sunday. Apparently, they will help give the wearer a workout just by walking in them by toning and trimming the wearer’s legs. Hmmm, it sounds too good to be true to me. I need a more convincing reason before I invest in a pair because they sure don’t come cheap. And they are not that pretty, at least not to me. So, no, I’m not sold yet. Are you?

~~~~~~~~

I watched a bit of The Biggest Loser a few nights ago. It’s a reality TV show where eight pairs of overweight contestants compete to win $250,000 by losing the highest percentage of their starting body weight. There are trainers assigned for designing and teaching the contestants comprehensive workout plans and nutrition plans. Any of the contestants who don’t keep fit run the risk of being a flop so to speak.

I haven’t watched any episode in its entirety but what little I saw disturbed me. Essentially, I am reminded that we are truly what we eat and if we eat damaging, toxic, bad food, our bodies will suffer the consequences. So what we eat will determine how fast our bodies age, plays a part in our life expectancy and the likelihood of us having healthy, fully functional bodies in our later years. Just like how what we consume can affect how old we look on the outside, it can affect our internal biological age too.

Some of the contestants are really pretty and young. There were two 26-year olds but their biological ages were actually 41 and 47 respectively (one was a heavy smoker and one a heavy drinker or something like that). Pretty scary, huh.

It also scares me to see that people can eat so much, punishing their bodies in the process (obese people have difficulty breathing and their hearts have to work much harder to pump more blood to the lungs and to the excess fat throughout the body, result in high blood pressure and life-threatening erratic heartbeats). Of course there are other health problems to be worried of (risk of high cholesterol level, cancer and diabetes just to name a few). So while it is comforting to turn to food when one is stressed etc, remember, too much of a good thing is really bad. This is a reminder to me too to reduce and stop eating all those junk food.

~~~~~~~~

I was humming the song ‘I Still Believe’ to myself when I watched Federer play Thomas Haas on Monday evening. Switched the channel over to the French Open and stood gaping in shock to see he lost the first two sets. I watched him battle his way through the third set, drawing at 4-4 before eventually winning it. Then he all but steamrolled over Haas in the fourth set before winning the match with a win in the fifth set. Last night, he played local lad Gaël Monfils and while the latter gave him a run for his money in the first set, he was no match for FedEx in the second. Monfils did try to come back in the third set but FedEx eventually triumphed.

Shrieking Sharapova and Murray had joined the other casualties.

~~~~~~~~

And finally, there were the power failures last night. The first time lasted all of five minutes: I know because I turned on the light of my hand-phone while I searched for a candle, candle bowl and some matches. Electricity was restored briefly before it went kaput again, this time lasting about 45 minutes.

I would have hummed to When The Lights Go Out if only I wasn’t starting to drown in perspiration.