Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Belated Mother’s Day* Post

* Mother’s Day is celebrated on various days in the world. The UK celebrated this year’s Mother’s Day on Sunday, 22 March 2009. Thanks to dearest Adam and Farah for the Mother’s Day text – I’m the coolest aunty ever apparently! Ask them if you don’t believe me.

I used to dream of having a pair of children (I reason I would/should not be greedy and settle for only two. Besides, I doubt I’m capable of having more than that – mentally and physically). If I can have my way, I’d want my first child to be a boy. I even have a ready name for him. I have dreams of the things we’ll do as a family, the places we’ll go, the things we’ll learn together and the times we’ll spend.





I’d want my children to be independent. My boy can deliver papers around the neighbourhood or participate in community work. He can also work at the local convenience store. I believe in that – letting go while still protecting your children (is it ever possible in this increasingly dangerous world anyway? But hey, I can still dream). I hope my boy will learn to value time and money, to understand the importance of education, to respect his elders, to protect his younger sibling etc, etc. And my girl (if I’m blessed to have one; I wouldn’t mind two boys) can follow her brother’s footsteps.




I get angry when I see parents scolding their children over some silly mistakes. C’mon, like you never make mistakes of your own? If only they know how lucky they are to have healthy children, how blessed they are to be entrusted to be parents. And when I pass a school near my workplace, sometimes I find myself looking at the students and wishing that I’m sending my own child(ren) to school too.

It seems I will continue on to dream - as Kylie sings it: ‘Dreaming’s all I do. If only they come true’. But there’s no harm to that, is there? What I know for sure is that I don’t think (at this stage) that I’ll ever be noble enough to be a quick-fix instant mum to anyone’s children. And I wonder too: what if I am tested with a disabled child? Will I be able to accept him/her; will I be able to love him/her; will I blame myself for that? Scary (disturbing) thoughts.

I believe God has a reason for everything. Maybe I won’t be a good mother. Maybe I’m not string enough to cope with my own children. Maybe I’ll suffer from post-partum depression and hurt my baby in the process. Maybe, maybe, maybe. God knows best of course. For now I’ll just make do by being a good aunt to my nieces and nephew and to Adam and Farah.







Cor, seriously, don’t you think Cesc and sister Carlotta were just the cutest kids? Baby, Baby, be my baby/let me be your baby and let me have your babies.

All pictures are googled as usual.

~~~~~~~~

Some people treat pets like their own children (I know our family does). As a friend put it: ‘Our pets are well taken care of, well-fed, spoilt, adored, loved, cared for at all times (even when we are away), well-groomed, well-mannered (OK, occasional bouts of screaming when hungry which is not unlike all spoilt kids), but generally well-behaved. Like all parents, we think our cats (and kids) are the cutest in the world, even if evidence shown to the contrary. We deny if we’re told they’re spoilt silly, because we love them desperately. We’re blinded by our blind love and loyalty. Pet-owners, like parents with young children, must be responsible for the upkeep, behaviour, and (mis)deeds of our kids.’

The stupid visiting cat, Ginger Ale, thought it was cute and thoughtful to bring back a present for me this morning – in the form of a dead rodent. I was so shocked that I almost let out a blood-curdling scream (not sure if I was more terrified at the sight of the dead rodent or angry with Ginger Ale). I hope he disposes off the body thoughtfully. I don’t fancy having to do it for him when I come back from work today. And I don’t even consider him my cat! Grrr, I’m so not amused or impressed.

Oh I am so going to strangle that cat (I’m sure parents feel like strangling their children occasionally too so I’m not a mental case).

Btw the half-blind young cat I mentioned earlier has gone missing for a week now.