Monday, November 24, 2008

Makes Me Wonder

The Gentleman was back in the city last week. I only found out about it when I FB-hopped (I mean hopping from one profile page to another). Apparently his mother had a nasty fall at home. Thankfully the helper was around and she was rushed to the hospital. The surgery was successful and she was discharged the following day.

I sent him a text as I climbed into bed and shortly after my mobile phone rang. It was him.

We chatted about our parents, our lives, our respective planned school reunions (and it was then that I found out that non-members to any particular FB group can read the activities and/or messages posted by members of that group; and in shock and with growing horror, I tried to recall all that I’ve written in my group), when he’s due back for good, etc, etc. He’s such a nice, pleasant chap and ever the gentleman. After all that happened (and didn’t), we could still carry out an amicable dialogue in companionable mood. No hard feelings, no grudges, no bitterness. We chatted close to an hour and would have chatted longer had he not run out of airtime.

As we chatted, I wondered why I didn’t just accept his proposal then. Why didn’t I just do it, take the plunge and to hell with the consequences. And while marriage warrants a more thorough thinking through, he does come from a good, respectable family and is a very decent, caring, thoughtful bloke. Sometimes, it still Makes Me Wonder.

Anyway, we are not meant to be. Ever.

~~~~~~~~

Arsenal suffered another defeat on Saturday. I have been just numb with grief and disbelief since.

It Makes Me Wonder how much change they will make to continue fighting. There have been reports of a fabulous Captain Fabulous and frankly, I think it’s an excellent idea.

Because my fabulous Fàbregas is no fibreglass.

Cesc, capitán del Arsenal!

P.S. Monsieur Arsène Wenger, can we please, please, please reinforce our defence? Pronto. Merci beaucoup.

~~~~~~~~

I’m worried about my parents. I remember them to be so big and strong and now they are old and weak with their share of illnesses.

I came upon this forwarded article last week:

‘Have you ever watched your parents as they are asleep? Your father's body once big and strong but now, the big is withered and the strong weakened. Wisps of grey peek out of his hair, wrinkles now ‘scar’ on his forehead and face.’

‘This man works hard every day and would sacrifice anything to make sure his family is provided for and his children get the best education possible.’

‘Or what about your mother, whose soft hands once cuddled and held you close when you were a baby? Now, those hands are dry and rough, bearing evidence of the challenges she faced just for us.’

‘This woman takes care of our daily needs, constantly nagging and scolding us because of her love for us. But sadly, we often misconstrue her love as control and unfairness.’


Let’s make prayers for our parents, whether they are still alive or have departed.