Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mumbo Jumbo Hodgepodge

I almost burnt the house down (or blew it up?) on Monday evening. You see, I always refill the kettle with filtered water after boiling and pouring the boiled water into flasks so that I have a ready kettle of water for boiling. But somehow this slipped my mind last Friday. When I came home on Monday, I put the kettle on and left the kitchen to settle my other chores before returning to the kitchen some 15 minutes later. It was only then when I realised I had been warming up an empty kettle all along.

Oh.My.God. Whatever ditsy thing will I do next? Watch this space. (Thank you, God, for saving my life).

~~~~~~~~

I was stumbling in the kitchen in my semi-comatose state yesterday morning when I heard a loud crash boom bang outside which lasted for more than five seconds. An accident, I thought. True enough, I came upon shards and pieces of glasses on my way to the bus-stop and a bumper too (I think). The vehicle must have hit the lamp-post hard, so hard that the lamp-post is now almost uprooted and the edge of the drain next to lamp-post also jutted out from its position. Talk about maximum impact! At the bus-stop was a badly-damaged Honda which had somehow been brought there, facing the oncoming traffic, and a Chinese chap standing next to the car. The highway patrol bike and a tow-truck then came to carry away the debris of the car.

I don’t think the accident caused the extraordinary morning jam that we were later caught in because the accident happened so much earlier. The cabbie took a circuitous route - I was feeling apprehensive as the route was pretty deserted and put away my novel to concentrate on my surroundings but later relaxed when I recognised some of my morning-walk routes and recalled that I had been on the route before some years back.

Well, now at least I know of a fourth route to get to the office.

~~~~~~~~

I watched The Showdown of Champions KL 2008 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The players put up entertaining matches. FedEx finally beat Blake in the singles (yeay) then the two teamed up with Björn Borg and John McEnroe respectively (team Europe versus team USA). I was amazed at how fit both Borg and McEnroe were (Borg is 52 and McEnroe is 49), they put me to shame! McEnroe still showed his tantrums, disagreeing with the umpire, much to the delight and amusement of the audience. I was chuckling throughout too.

~~~~~~~~

I’m definitely reverting back to taking my supplements after dinner – I actually threw up this morning (too much info?). Is feeling nauseous and dizzy a consequence of switching to eating my pills in the morning or is it because I’m now eating a different kind of multi-vitamin and my body is trying to flush out the toxic and toxins in my body? Or is it simply because I don’t eat as much at breakfast as I do during dinner and my tummy doesn’t take kindly to digesting those pills after my light breakfast?

Any medical advice/opinion is welcomed and appreciated.

~~~~~~~~

I’m just too lazy to cook these days. I think it’s because I cooked almost daily during Ramadan (and two dishes too!) but gosh Ramadan is definitely over already. OK, I’ve never really looked forward to cooking anyway. I’m amazed with Jamie, he makes cooking look so fun and effortless (but still not fun enough to make me feel enthused). I cook only because I try to eat healthily (yeah, right) but when I’m too lazy to cook, it’s back to those evil instant noodles (they taste so good for something that’s bad for my body). I don’t eat eggs in their form (but I eat cakes and ice-cream that have eggs in their ingredients) otherwise I’d have eggs every night for dinner.

Well, at least I’ve eliminated processed food like burgers and carbonated drinks from my diet.

~~~~~~~~

Two weeks since becoming President-elect and there is still a debate whether Obama is black. He’s a mixed-race, if you ask me, a mongrel just like most of us. (To me, race is not really definite, unlike religion.)

~~~~~~~~

What happened to Baby P is shockingly cruel. It is sad whenever a small, helpless baby/child was assaulted, abused, beaten and tortured to his death like that. Baby P was such a beautiful toddler, I wouldn’t think twice about adopting him. And yet, his parent and guardian didn’t think he deserved to live.

~~~~~~~~

I received a package from my friend, couriered all the way from the East Coast. She actually sent it last week but as I didn’t hear the courier guy, the parcel was re-routed to a post office in PJ. Thankfully I managed to ask for the parcel to be re-routed to my work address.

I was surprised alright at the thoughtfulness and the care that came with the package (thank you, girlfriend!). And to think we hardly ever talked back at school (different class, different house). But somehow, we have grown closer since re-connecting through the e-group. And she’s not the only one: there are a few others who I hardly ever exchanged words with back at school but are now my close buddies.

And sadly, there are also those who I was close to but have now drifted apart from or lost contact with altogether.