Wednesday, October 15, 2008

This And That

My paternal uncle passed away on Saturday morning. He was the eldest of Abah’s siblings. Abah didn’t attend as my late uncle was residing in Johor and he’d miss the funeral anyway if he went as it was scheduled that morning itself. I found out about the death when I got home that afternoon. As I sat next to Abah watching the World Cup Qualifying match between Scotland and Norway later that evening, I wondered how he must be feeling to lose his eldest brother and not being able to attend his funeral.

Unfortunately, I don’t have fond memories of my late uncle. His early life was not easy and sometimes, he would resort to asking for money from Abah. While I resented it then - because our family is not one of those rich and privileged - I suppose he must be similarly embarrassed for having to ask for money from a younger brother. Or was he? Because if he did, surely he would have changed his lifestyle?

~~~~~~~~

My glamorous maternal cousins came to visit on Sunday and Mummy as usual went all out in preparing for her nieces. I was glad to discover that two of them will be performing their Haj this year.

I was so knackered after the whole thing that even an afternoon nap failed to revive me.

~~~~~~~~

Why do some people behave like they are ignorant fools by throwing rubbish into the drain? Why do people litter? So that some other people can pick up their rubbish after them? I remember throwing a piece of chewing gum hastily away while waiting for Abah to pick me up from primary school (we were not allowed to chew gums) but was too late as Abah caught me in the act. He pulled the car to the kerb and gave me a good lecture – not because I was chewing gum but because I threw the gum into the drain. I can’t remember what he said exactly but among others, he asked what the country would be if everyone threw rubbish like I did. And that was the last time I ever littered and I was six then. From then on, I hate litterbugs and I take my trash along with me out of the theatre even though I know there are people who will sort out the place who will undoubtedly help to clear the rubbish away. But still, does that give us the right to litter and leave our rubbish behind? Are we not all educated people who are courteous and disciplined enough to dispose our rubbish ourselves thoughtfully?

Apparently not. I came home yesterday, beat after a day at work and was greeted by a clogged drain, no thanks to someone who threw his rubbish into it. I didn't fancy being responsible for breeding aedes mosquitoes (incidentally, a friend and some of his family members contracted dengue fever during Eid) so I went out again after changing clothes to clear the drain. Yes, in the pouring rain.

~~~~~~~~

Another thing that irritates me is people who stay rooted to the spot, who remain stationary on escalators and walkalators. Please, these inventions are to help us travel faster from one point to another, not so that we can be lazy and not burn our calories. Besides, there are people who would like to continue on their journey without having to weave through these stationary obstacles.

If you are too weary, please stand to one side, and one side only.