Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The 31st August Weekend

The weekend marked the last few days of the year’s mega sale and I’m glad to report that I managed not to spend too much (though I have most definitely way overspent in August *gulp*). But there will be festive sales soon, I’m sure. Went out on Sunday afternoon and was caught in a heavy downpour. So many people thronging KLCC (were they shopping, window shopping or seeking refuge from the rain, I wonder?)!

Saturday marked Fàbregas’ return back to the Premier League after playing on Wednesday against FC Twente (where the latter’s manager suffered another raining of goals). The Gunners played host to Newcastle - mind you, this was the team that held ManUre to a home draw two weeks prior so there was reason for concern. I was a bit surprised to note that Northern Rock still sponsors the Magpies’ jerseys. Anyway, Arsenal was back in business, high on the success of Wednesday’s despatch of FC Twente, and played
irresistible football. I was glad to see van Persie slot in the penalty and the second goal courtesy of Eboue’s backheel instead of launching the ball into the sky as he was becoming prone to doing. And Denilson added a third goal for the host and his first for the club. Everyone played well, even Clichy could have scored too. Then, Keegan decided to introduce bad boy Barton into the game in the last couple of minutes and he made his mark alright by putting in a hard tackle on Nasri. Barton does seem to find it irresistible attacking French players.


Fabulous return! Cor!

Denilson and Fàbregas battled for the ball from Nicky Butt

van Persie’s penalty

van Persie and Fàbregas celebrate

With Eboue

Good job, Eboue (finally)!

Team still celebrating second goal

Denilson’s goal

The pain on my rump worsened during the weekend so much so that I actually remarked to Mummy that if humans were born with tails, the pain I was feeling must have been how it would have felt if the tails broke off. And I even wondered on my own, gosh, this must be a fraction of how hurtful sodomy is. Not that I have any idea of that whatsoever, of course (my imagination was running amok over the weekend, blame it on the pain). Another visit to the doctor was made and I was assured that this kind of injury would take a week to heal. So sue me for being impatient. I now have to perform prayers (and tarawih too!) sitting down (and there’ll be lots of sitting down this month as I attempt to finish my Quran recital).

It’s fasting month and I shall attempt and strive to be more careful with my speech and that includes writing in this blog (so help me God) and to be more patient (not easy) out of respect for the holy month. Wish me luck. After all, I did manage all that before for a few weeks in the Holy Land (though I immediately regained my impatience shortly after returning home. Tsk, tsk, tsk). One question though: why are people more focussed on breaking fast and on Eid (the cookies, the new clothes, the new deco, etc, etc) than on the deeds they should instead perform in this month? Why, the orders for Eid cookies were already out at the start of Syaaban month. How do we start sympathising with the less fortunate when we can’t even begin to appreciate their hardship and suffering?