Friday, August 29, 2008

Happy 51st Merdeka

I finally had the opportunity to watch the Petronas 51st Merdeka Ad on Wednesday evening (at first, I wasn’t sure it was even a Petronas ad as it features Afdlin Shauki). It brought tears to my eyes as I remembered the sacrifices that my parents made in raising us. And I wonder if I would and could ever repay them for all they’ve done. I’m still trying to do that but I know the account will never be balanced no matter how hard I try.

The ad also gives another message: don’t ever let anything get in your way. Find your own way and work hard for what you want. Don’t let early frustration hold you back and don’t expect instant gratification. Things will not fall into our lap if we don’t work towards it. And yes, it is encapsulated in the Petronas microsite: Patience, perseverance and hard work paves the road to success. Even the Holy Quran says: Verily never will God change the condition of a people until they change it themselves (with their own souls).

This year, we will be celebrating our independence day amidst weaker economic conditions, rising food prices, higher energy prices and increasing inflation, just to name a few.

Back at boarding school, we had this annual tradition on the eve of Merdeka: the fifth formers would perambulate around the school compound before gathering at the netball court near the Dining Hall. Our year was no different and we made the traditional circumambulation with our raised lanterns (and yes, in our nightgowns! Well, it was an all-girls boarding school so what the heck anyway). We assembled at the netball court just before midnight and at the stroke of midnight, we sang the National Anthem before singing our college song. We also sang ‘Warisan’ (I can’t quite recall the order of the songs but we may have sung this song when we were circumambulating):

Anak Kecil Main Api
Terbakar Hatinya Yang Sepi
Airmata Darah Bercampur Keringat
Bumi Dipijak Milik Orang

Nenek Moyang Kaya Raya
Tergadai Seluruh Harta Benda
Akibat Sengketa Sesamalah Kita
Cinta Lenyap Di Arus Zaman

Indahnya Bumi Kita Ini
Warisan Berkurun Lamanya
Hasil Mengalir Ke Tangan Yang Lain
Pribumi Merintih Sendiri

Masa Depan Sungguh Kelam
Kan Lenyap Peristiwa Semalam
Tertutuplah Hati Terkunci Mati
Maruah Peribadi Dah Hilang

Kini Kita Cuma Tinggal Kuasa
Yang Akan Menentukan Bangsa
Bersatulah Hati Bersama Berbakti
Pulih Kembali Harga Diri

Kita Sudah Tiada Masa
Majulah Dengan Gagah Perkasa
Jangan Lalai Teruskan Usaha
Melayu Kan Gagah Di Nusantara


While we may have started our midnight march in a jovial mood, we were quite sombre when we reached the netball court. While we may have started singing softly and faintly in the beginning, our voices grew stronger and clearer as we neared the netball court. And I felt a spark of pride feeling in my chest growing and growing as I always do when I hear patriotic songs (like this song and this) defending the country (not those modern songs about our flag) and I knew then, as I have always known, that I would do anything and everything within my power to protect my country and I would defend it even if I die in the process.

Happy 51st year of independence, Malaysia!

On another note, we will be ushering in Ramadan on Monday. So here’s wishing everyone Ramadan Kareem and may the blessed month bring joy and light into our lives in obtaining God’s blessings and forgiveness.