Wednesday, June 11, 2008

No Comparison

I try to write about witty, funny things even if some of them are painful growth on my face, cause me to part with money and actually are insignificant in the larger scheme of things - because I think it’s important to maintain a sense of humour and that it’s OK to laugh at oneself and one’s foolish acts and accept one’s misfortunes. But I was thinking last night after learning of a colleague’s misfortune that my petty complaints, trivial tantrums, angst and worries all may seem so trite, pointless, self-indulgent, lavish and irresponsible even.

A son of this particular colleague contracted an infection which resulted in the child being admitted into a hospital and my colleague spending two nights at the hospital to accompany him. And there I was ‘moaning’ about my lack of sleep - which was actually due to my conscious decision to catch some Euro2008 footie action. The colleague was worried about the son and I was sad and down because Azzurri lost to the Netherlands.

I just could not help comparing the two situations. Losing sleep because one had to sleep in the bright lights of a hospital room caring for one’s sick child and losing sleep because of one’s own choice to watch football. Being worried over one’s child and being worried because a team one supported lost. Agonising over the health and recovery of one’s child and agonising over a medium-sized pustule taking residence on one's face. Golly, I felt like such an irresponsible person and all my concerns, problems and worries seem to pale in comparison; they seem so insignificant.

But of course the two situations are not comparable. It’d be like comparing apples to oranges. While I don’t yet have a child to fret over or a spouse to worry over, I do have other worries of my own. So don’t think bachelorettes like us have no real worries of our own. Because God tests each and everyone of us albeit differently. Trust me, my petty concerns and worries that I choose to disclose in this blog are just the tip of the iceberg of worries that I bear.

~~~~~~~~

So I shall still be indulgent here and talk a bit on Euro2008. I didn’t watch the Spain v Russia match because it was held at midnight and I may never be able to fall asleep if I stay up (weekends are different as I can afford to sleep in) and was very happy to discover that Fàbregas scored his first international goal for Spain. I’m still not rooting for Spain yet though; they have a record of being underachievers (just like Portugal). All the hype which didn’t materialise in the end. Let’s if Euro2008 will be different. Read more about the match here and here.