Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Scrabbling Around

Just a little update on my uneventful life: there was a series of games event earlier this month (well, it started at the end of November) and I found myself selected to represent TheCompany for Scrabble. We started our practice in June, abandoned it half-way and only started again in mid-October (oops! Blame work for that!).






The Scrabble games took place on 3 and 4 December 2022. We were provided accommodation at Park Inn by Radisson Putrajaya and checked in on 2 December 2022 - Alhamdulillah for that as I wouldn’t want to commute from home or office every morning to get to Bangi. As I rode with my friend on Friday, I found myself helping to set up the tables for the matches the following day... setting up boards, drawing out the tiles and assembling them on the boards, setting the chess clocks and tile racks. I was this close to regretting hitching a ride from my friend.


It was a mentally and physically exhausting weekend. Definitely mentally exhausting if one has to play six games with all the stress that came with it on the first day and three games on the second day. Physically exhausting too for some reason even though I know we didn’t run up and down the hall or around the stadium. We were so exhausted that we didn’t even make dinner plans on Saturday and retired to our respective rooms.


Long story short: TheCompany won gold for Scrabble, its only gold for the whole tournament. Alhamdulillah. I suffered a very bad gastritis on Monday, so much so I had to get medical leave for the afternoon. My first medical leave of the year. So yes, we won, but at what cost.


Workwise, I’ve also been busy, like the rest of the office, carrying out year-end activities.


On the personal front, there’ll be no trip abroad this December because I’m literally grounded. There have been many times I feel like an only child for all the attention, help and support that my brothers give my parents and myself over the years.