Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Thank You For The Greatest Love Of All

It all started with batch 2004’s message in October on their drive for #ACarForOurBelovedEncikAhmad which informed that our beloved legendary Encik Ahmad was going to retire in December (this month) after 35 years in TKC (apparently 35 years, 11 months and 10 days). He had been loyal with TKC since 1985, dedicating his whole career to the school and even declining an offer to become principal/headmaster of another school, before finally deciding to rest and retire this month. Hence, the plan was to collect from ex-TKCians, 1985-2021 especially, to give him something big and memorable and very useful for him after his retirement, which was a car! The plan was to collect at least RM2k from each batch to reach the target (preferably a family car) - although any car would be more than OK for Encik Ahmad – of more than RM50k so that we could buy him a proper car. The deadline was by 1-3 December 2021 as his retirement party would be on 10 December plus extra days were needed to prep the BIG Gift from all of us to him.

 

This message appeared on 29 October and back then I was wondering if we could pull it off. But you know what, we did it and even tripled the collection money. Never ever underestimate the power of dreams and sheer dedication of TKC girls when we set our mind on something! Our batch came up with RM10,500 within a fortnight (among the highest contributing batch, alhamdulillah). A family car was purchased, and the registration number with letters of his name in it and the years he taught at TKC was secured. The car was presented to him on his farewell party on 12 December. The extra money collected would be deposited into his Tabung Haji account too. Alhamdulillah.

 

I never had the opportunity or pleasure of being taught by Encik Ahmad (he taught Mathematics and Additional Maths subjects). Nevertheless, I’ve heard of him of course. When he first started teaching, being one of the young male teachers, he was often the brunt of our teasing. He was quick to blush and was often the target of our relentless teasing. Adolescent girls at an all-girls’ school can be very mischievous and we often played tricks on our teachers especially on April Fool’s Day. He was not spared of course. He brought his own chalks to class because someone soaked the chalks once. One time, the students turned away and faced the back of the class instead of the blackboard. Undeterred, he went to the back of the classroom and started writing on the lockers. Another class went to the bathroom and stayed there until he came and asked if he should start teaching them in there. Some others hid his motorcycle and another year, some others hid his shoes (I don’t know how they got hold of his shoes in the first place!). He would also resolutely teach while remaining standing on April Fool’s Day because some pranksters may have poured some glue on the teacher’s chair. I think if all the stories and memories with him were compiled, it could become a very interesting hilarious read indeed. Despite being a very shy person, he grew up with us and became wise to our ways. He was infinitely patient and never lost his temper with us. Forgive us, Encik Ahmad and all teachers, for our naughty ways. We never meant to embarrass or offend you. We were just being girls, and you know what they say: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. Even after we had left school, he was there, a constant assuring presence. He gave my friend, who was feeling alone and homesick for being away far away from home at 18, emotional support and advice.

 

When he was presented the car, he looked a bit lost and confused. Later he confessed he thought us girls were playing a prank on him again and that the car was a Matchbox or Hotwheels type of car. The first word he clearly uttered was the Selawat for Prophet Muhammad SAW, a genuine spontaneous expression of gratefulness for what Allah has bestowed upon him. When he gave his thanks, he also said the car was a gift for himself and other teachers too.

 

I was young and didn’t have nowhere to run

I needed to wake up and see what’s in front of me

There has to be a better way

Say it again, a better way to show I’m grateful

So I thought of this song

To show my appreciation for lovin’ me so long

You don’t know how much you mean to me

 

‘Cause even though when times got rough

You never turned away, you were right there

And I thank you, thank you

When I felt I had enough

You never turned away, you were right there

And I thank you, thank you

 

All through my life I knew that you’d be my world

Knowin’ everywhere I go things you taught me, they would show

So many times and changes you’ve seen me through

I sure enough couldn’t have survived without you

And so I thought of this song

To show my appreciation for lovin’ me so long

You don’t know how much you mean to me







 

Thank you, Encik Ahmad. Thank you for your Ocean Deep commitment, dedication, infinite patience, love, guidance, kindness, support and wisdom in educating us (no mean feat considering We’re No Angels!). Thank you for teaching us humility and appreciation for others. I never had the opportunity of being taught by you but many of us had the benefit and pleasure of your teaching. Take good care and may Allah bless you always. You believed in us, you cared for us, and you showed us The Greatest Love Of All because –

 

I believe the children are our future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children’s laughter remind us how we used to be





 

Don’t fret too much about promotions or rewards. If you work with sincerity, humility and patience, all in the name of the Almighty, insyaAllah, Allah SWT will find ways to bless you with the rizqi you deserve. ~Encik Ahmad

 

Ameen ya rabb alamin.

 

#keepingupwiththekurshians


* All photos are nicked from FB. Thank you, sisters!