Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Land Of Sun, Sea And Sand


Like I said earlier, I had been planning to visit Algeria for some time now. I went to Morocco in 2010 with Lin, to Tunisia alone in 2011 (shortly after the Arab Spring started) and was supposed to go to Algeria in 2012. I had contacted Algerian couchsurfers enquiring about the country back then. I didn’t know much about the country’s history or that it had some fairly recent violent history but I knew it had some Roman ruins and surely a country neighbouring both Morocco and Tunisia is beautiful too.

I do understand that not everyone understood or appreciated why I wanted to go to Algeria. It’s not on most people’s travel bucket list, it’s hardly ever featured in any travel documentary if at all and little is known about the country. Unlike countries in the Balkans or Baltic which are only now receiving visitors like Kosovo or Albania and Latvia or Lithuania, Algeria still remains well below the radar. And while I remember the horrors of the 1990s Balkan war, I don’t think I was aware of the Algerian civil war in the same decade. Even CT told me that when she informed her mum that she was going to Algeria, her mum didn’t really react. Like most people, she was probably unaware of Algeria or mistook it for Nigeria (yes, believe it or not!).

A colleague told me that he also wondered why I chose to go to Algeria. Why didn’t I do instead to other well-known and well-visited countries? I looked at him and said well, because I’d either been there or considered going somewhere altogether new. You ask me why Algeria and I ask you back why not? Why not get out of my comfort zone and explore a new country and culture? Why limit myself to only those countries that most people are familiar with?

Algeria taught me a few lessons. It reaffirmed my self-belief and my confidence in my ability that if I want to make something happen, I would make it happen no matter what other people said. For instance, Nadjib and Imen told me that my plan was too ambitious, that I did not know the lay of the land, that I would struggle in a foreign land, I would be too jetlagged to be rushing here and there, that my itinerary was too packed, I should be realistic. I didn’t ignore their opinion but I had a Plan B which was to drop off one destination. Sure I didn’t know the country, the way things work, I can’t speak the local languages but I know that the public transportation would be reliable and it would have to be because that’s what the common people rely heavily on. I had great faith that Allah would help me and He did, Syukur Alhamdulillah. Nadjib and Faisal discouraged us from visiting Djémila but we were determined and what do you know, it turned out to be a beautiful experience just like the name. No, we have no regrets at all and are so glad we went despite the discouragement.

As with life, what this trip taught me is that you can do and achieve something if you set your mind to it, if you’re determined enough and are willing to put effort into realising it. Don’t let others discourage you. Don’t discount their opinion and advice but don’t let them stop you from chasing your dreams either. Be prepared to give up something: I wanted to cover as many places as I could and was willing to sleep on overnight buses (Algeria is the largest country in Africa and if we travel during the day, we would spend most of the day on buses. We didn’t have the luxury of time and there’s no point sitting in buses during the day when we could be out exploring instead. Luckily CT shared the same sentiment and had no problem roughing it up too). It turned out that it was possible to cover what we wanted in the amount of time we had, Alhamdulillah. The trip also reminded me of humility, gratitude and appreciation. There are still a lot of people who would welcome total strangers into their home and lives without prejudice. Honestly, I don’t know if I can do the same but I vow to continue to help as many visitors as I possibly can.

Algeria is a beautiful country with a rich past. From Wikipedia, Ancient Algeria has known many empires and dynasties, including ancient Numidians, Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Romans, Vandals, Byzantines, Umayyads, Abbasids, Idrisid, Aghlabid, Rustamid, Fatimids, Zird, Hammadids, Almoravids, Almohads, Spaniards, Ottomans and the French (thanks, Wikipedia!) so yes, it has a rich history and the people are exotic. Sure, it’s a country that’s not often visited but it is waiting for us to discover it.