Saturday, October 04, 2014

#30Stays: Favourite Travel Buddy

I have had a few travel buddies: Mummy, Lin, SM for two trips now (Guilin and Taiwan) and my munchkin nephew. Mummy relied heavily on me when we travelled but she was an enthusiastic traveller. She stoically endured the day-long van ride to Chiang Rai and the borders of Laos and Myanmar; the bus rides in Shanghai and other cities; the angkot ride in Bandung and bajaj ride in Jakarta. Lin travelled with me a few times to London, a few cities in Western Europe, a few cities in Eastern Europe, Russia and Morocco. My munchkin nephew has travelled with me to Solo and Jogjakarta (along with his sister), Jakarta, Turkey and Japan.


I must say that my most favourite travel buddy is me, myself and I. I love my company and I love the freedom, independence and flexibility of travelling solo. I love having my me-time to spend however long I want at some ruins, moving along my schedule however and whenever I want to. I may be alone but I’m not lonely. I have my maps, guidebooks and brochures and novels to occupy me. Having said that, I won’t deny that there are trips where it would be better, wiser and more enjoyable to have some company.