Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Weekend In Kota Kinabalu

This trip was planned with my old girlfriend, C, since July last year. Tickets were bought (I had some problems while buying our tickets online and had to spend 30 minutes calling MAS 40 hours before departure), hotel reservation was made and all we had to do was to wait for the departure date. Unfortunately, C found out in December that her husband would have to travel outstation on the day we were returning so she had to buy a single ticket back a day earlier.

The day before departure, we were both feeling poorly. I felt a slight fever coming up and had trouble swallowing. C had a bad tummy upset and hardly slept. What a fine couple of travellers we made! I made sure I drank lots of water, didn’t eat any chocolates and had an effervescent tablet of vitamin C the night before our departure. Oh and I tried to turn in early too.

I arrived at KL Sentral on Thursday morning to find C already waiting for me. I had dropped by McD earlier to get some chicken porridge for C as I was worried she was deliberately avoiding food because of her purging. I dropped off our bags at the City Air Terminal and we lingered a bit before taking the train to KLIA (no point arriving too early, I pointed out to C). She finally bought some carbon pills at Guardian Pharmacy and had that. It helped somewhat, thank God.

Our flight took off on time but I couldn’t sleep so I ended up watching a German movie instead (the title was in German and I can’t recall it now). It was a good fun movie. We landed at 1515 and were among the first ones out of the plane and clearing the immigration. Our bags came out early too.

We saw adverts of an airport shuttle so we headed to the counter to enquire. The bus leaves Terminal 1 on an hourly basis and it will stop by Terminal 2 en route to the city. We were told it only takes 20 minutes to the city and we could get down at any of the three stops (Centre Point and another two more which I can’t recall. Sorry). We got to chatting with the driver who enquired where we were staying. When we told him, he actually made a detour and dropped us at the hotel lobby! Amazing!

We checked in and after enquiring the shuttle times to the city (it costs RM3 return trip per person now; it used to be a complimentary service. Boo hoo), went to our room to perform prayers and rest. We took the 1810 shuttle (it was late though) to the city, got down at Plaza KK and went to find dinner. We had dinner at the night stalls by the waterfront and after that dropped by the dried seafood market as I wanted to buy anchovies. We had a slight problem with the shuttle going back to the hotel as it was full save for the tour operator assistant seat (I sat there) and I had to ask a lady from China if she wouldn’t mind having her little son sit on her lap.

On Friday morning, we had a late and long leisurely breakfast. Well, what this means is that I ate a lot and C had to wait for me. We were waiting for the shuttle when *pom* the electricity went out. It turned out that the whole of KK had the electricity supply cut (and it lasted about four hours). We got down at Centre Point and walked to SEDCO where we were meeting SK, our old schoolmate, for lunch. SK took us for lunch at Hyatt as it had a generator working. Lunch was slowly served but it didn’t really matter as we had to time to catch up with each other.

We bade goodbye to SK who had to return to office, blackout notwithstanding. After performing prayers at Hyatt, we walked to the various markets (including SAFMA, the local wet market, the seafood market and the Filipino Market). We spent close to an hour at the Filipino Market before checking out the stalls (C bought some grilled seafood for dinner, I was still full) and then returning to the dried seafood market for me to buy dried prawns. We then walked to Centre Point to catch the shuttle back to the hotel.

Back at the hotel, we had some problems with our lights which we later found out was due to a trip. Electricity was finally restored and we spent the evening resting and relaxing.

On Saturday, we had another late and long leisurely breakfast (correction: I had a long breakfast, C waited for me patiently). We left at 1130, C having arranged for one of the hotel staff to drive her to the seafood market and then to the airport. In the end, C bought frozen prawns from SAFMA – easier as it was already packed. You can buy it from the seafood market but you would also need to buy the ice and the Styrofoam pack to pack your purchase in. It would take some time for sure.

After bidding goodbye to each other, I walked to Wisma Merdeka where I did blood cupping. There was a new shop that offered it at RM200 with massage thrown in before and after the cupping. Brilliant! I didn’t need to go for a separate massage session then. The Kadazan-Dusun shop I visited previously charged RM260 and no massage thrown in. I also bought some USD at Wisma Merdeka. The best thing is they have a few moneychangers who sell small denominations of USD notes ($1, $5, $10 and $20) at a different rate compared to the larger notes ($50 and $100).

After that, I walked to the Filipino Market and I spent long enough time to buy some souvenirs for my officemates. I then walked to Centre Point and traipsed around while waiting for the shuttle back to the hotel. The shuttle was late and I only got back to my room after 7 pm. I spent the night packing, reading and watching a bit of TV and football (fell asleep after our two goals).

On Sunday, I went for an early breakfast for a change. I checked out at 0830 (I needed two trips to lug my purchases) and was in a cab heading to the airport within 3 minutes. I reached the airport at 0845 and dropped off my bag and two boxes. An hour is enough at an airport for me.

We took off on time and I watched a French movie this time. We landed at 1215 but the bag and boxes took a while to emerge and I was only able to take the 1300 KLIA Express train back to KL Sentral. Thank you to the porter who helped me carry my boxes onto the train!


So that was my sixth trip to KK. I wouldn’t mind another return trip or two.