Monday, January 13, 2014

Nepal In A Nutshell

How can I summarise a country based only on a few days’ visit? Of course I won’t do it justice but I can try from what little I experienced and observed there. I try to travel with an open mind and I will share what I went through, both pleasant and otherwise.

It’s an ethnically diverse country and the people there look anything from an Indian to a Chinese and everything in between. Some even look like Malays and indeed I think they can look like Malaysians too. I was asked if I was a Nepali twice. So yeah don’t talk about 1M or whatever blinking thing, when other more ethnically diverse countries don’t even have to spell it out.

The Nepalese are predominantly Hindus with Buddhism the second largest religion. However, the guesthouse lady at Pokhara told me that the Hindus also pray at stupas and the Buddhists also pray at temples. The two religions can co-exist harmoniously and yet, and yet, in this country, 56.5 years after independence, we are still saddled with issues such as the use of the word Allah.

It is a poor albeit lovely country. They get many visitors especially those outdoor enthusiasts. When I asked why he didn’t fly to New Zealand instead, the Aussie PR Chinese bloke told me not only does he still need a visa to enter NZ but it was still economical for him to fly all the way to Nepal (via KL) than to fly to NZ. And yes, things are generally cheaper there than in NZ or Canada, but of course. There are many shops selling outdoor gear so you could just buy them over there if you wish. But of course, despite the beautiful mountain sceneries, the cities are busy, dusty and dirty. The roads are bad. The farms and trees in the country are mud-coated. I don’t know how the locals get around wearing only slippers instead of covered footwear with all the dust (and I’m not sure where the dust is from. Cairo and Makkah are also dusty but these cities are near the desert so it’s understandable). Like I said, it is still a poor country and as we know, people in poor countries don’t place hygiene on top of their priorities. You see litter and dog poo at temples and the locals also like to spit – even at the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Oh and don’t get me started on the public washroom (even ‘tourist toilets’ at those heritage sites).

The country also suffers frequent blackouts (on a daily basis) lasting up to 14 hours in some places due to power theft and deficiency in power supply. Although Nepal has a great hydro power potential with its steep glacier-topped terrains, global warming has resulted in retreating glaciers in turn resulting in reduction in dry season flows. So if you’re travelling there, bear this in mind. It may also be a good idea to pack a power bank so that you can recharge your smart phones and tablets.

It is not difficult to find vegetarian and halal food there. I’m not too fussy; if there’s no halal food, I’m happy to settle for a vegetarian meal (minus any curry because I don’t like it anymore). So if you’re on a special diet because of your religion or belief, don’t worry.

Oh and yes, it is a safe country to travel in solo. Even if you want to go trekking, you can do it alone with a local guide. Then again, I am not worth kidnapping!

Will I return? It would have to be in spring or autumn if I do. I don’t mind the cold in winter but the fog creates havoc and can disrupt your plans. The Singaporean bloke I met said he trekked in the fog with extremely limited visibility for two days. The fog also disrupted the flights out of Kathmandu on the day I flew back there thus delaying my flight back to the capital.


The End