Thursday, April 11, 2013

Gone Too Soon

There was this chap who worked in our Human Resources department who went around selling muruku and the likes after office hours. Despite him being in HR and his post-work side business, I never had many dealing with him. In fact, I can’t claim to know him very well. This notwithstanding, I always knew he was a very jovial, cheerful, friendly happy person with a dry sense of humour and a ready smile at everyone. Let’s call him D.

D was diagnosed with cancer in 2011 (I can’t recall what type, sorry). I heard he was down and was in denial but he soon summoned up his reserves and strength to combat it and he returned to work after some time. Last week, however, I heard he was in critical condition and it came as a shock when I heard of his passing. He passed away early on Saturday, 6 April 2013.

I just saw a clip of the late D and it struck me that he was constantly smiling and laughing in all the pictures in the clip. Not one had him frowning or scowling. He was happily participating in department events (even TheOrganisation annual dinner and Hari Raya do), cheerfully clad in office attire or any traditional costume (he was a Chindian), just being happy, cheerful, jovial and generally just being himself. That was who and how he was. He was happy with life and it showed. He was selfless and generous with his smiles and he was ever ready to help others even though it was something not within his scope of work. And he evidently touched the lives of a lot of people here; you only have to read the comments and feedback left on his tribute page. And the thing is, he was not anyone up the hierarchy, just another ordinary officer like most of us and it just goes to prove that you don’t need to be world-famous like Margaret Thatcher to touch people’s lives and make a difference. Because there are those who rejoiced and celebrated at the news of Maggie Thatcher being dead, well-known as she was.

So rest, D. You had fought your battle, you had run the race and now it’s time for you to relax. You deserve it. We will miss your cheerfulness, joy, zest for life, smile and laughter. We will be all the poorer for it now that you are no longer around to brighten our days. You will be missed and will always be remembered. It will be very hard for us to forget someone who gave so much to the others to remember and you were one of those rare species. I can only hope I will be half as remembered and missed as D when I leave. And I may or may not have that but at least I can try to start make a difference in other people’s lives, I can start being a more cheerful, jovial, happy person and content with my life.


The good die young, they say. And they are right.