Thursday, December 20, 2012

Somebody To Love

Two people I know got married within four weeks of each other. One to a single again man and another was a single again man himself. I don’t think it’s an easy thing, to be married to a man (or woman) with children from a previous marriage. One has to woo the adult while winning the hearts of the children. They may be fine with you dating their parent, but are they as receptive to the idea of you replacing their other parent?

I don’t think it was easy for Mummy to marry Abah (and indeed she didn’t want to at first) and inherit five instant children, all who were likely brainwashed by their maternal grandparents of how evil Mummy would be. Stepmothers always have a bad reputation, don’t they. I mean, we grow up with those stories of evil, wicked stepmothers – Cinderella and Snow White, our fairy tale heroines, both have stepmothers.

But perhaps it’s easier now in this modern day to get used to this idea what with the numerous failed marriages around us. You get used to the idea and it’s no longer a foreign concept. Indeed, a few of my maternal cousins are married to men who had married before. In this age where love becomes more difficult to find, maintain and nurtured, we see more people in their second, even third, marriage. We can’t deny or begrudge the second chance some have at love. We just hope that this would be the right one and wish them happiness.

When I look back upon my past relationships, I’m hard-pressed to recall if I was ever in love. I don’t think I can say with all honesty that I was in love with any of the guys. Some were fun while they lasted, some not so. And although the demise of each relationship left me somewhat shattered, I don’t think I was ever in love in any of them. And it makes me wonder if I will ever love, if I will ever find my love, if there is one. If maybe I’m just unfeeling, have lost my feelings or maybe, if I even have feelings. Sure, the end of them was always painful and hurtful, but love?

Oh, I know I’m fussy and hard to please and some people have told me to lower my standards/expectations. I’m not yet prepared to do this but I suppose I would reconsider if and when I meet the right person - which I haven’t had just yet.

And I suppose this is what people do when they meet their right person, when they meet somebody to love: they accept and adjust their expectations. And who knows, I might actually meet someone I have feelings for and do the same one day.