Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Year That Was: 2011

It was another mixed year. There were ups and downs. Happy and sad moments; new places visited and old destinations revisited; new friends made, old relatives and friends reacquainted with...

Alhamdulillah, I managed to continue travelling, a recap of which is as follows:

January
Namaste! I visited the Golden Triangle of India (Delhi, Agra and Jaipur) after a few days in Srinagar in Kashmir.

February
1) Checked out the Universal Studios Singapore and did a little side trip to Batam.
2) Local trip to Lenggong

March
Didn’t make any travel plans

April
1) Revisited Kota Kinabalu with Abah on the weekend of Mummy’s birthday
2) Flew out to Europe (and Tunisia) via Amsterdam

May
Traipsed in the Balkan and Baltic countries before making my way to Switzerland via Italy and then continuing on to Amsterdam before flying home

June
Went on a short shopping trip to Singapore. Took the coach there and flew back the enxt morning

July
1) Flew to Miri for a short weekend. Checked out Niah National Park while there
2) Went on a road trip to Temenggor Lake.

August
Flew to Kuching for a short weekend. Checked out Bako National Park while there

September
Flew to Sibu during the Malaysia Day weekend

October
1) A short day-trip to Singapore, availing of cheap air fares
2) Set foot in Sandakan. Checked out the Rainforest Discovery Centre and Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre

November
1) Attended a conference in Singapore
2) Took the train to Hat Yai. Also made a detour to Songkhla

December
Visited Turkey and had a fantastic time!

I managed to read 57.5 books (started the 58th a few days before year-end and finished it a couple of days into 2012), up from 52 last year. This may not be a high figure but do remember that I am juggling two households along with my hours in the office. That’s twice as much housework – ironing, sweeping, cleaning and mopping. I hope to finish at least 60 books this year. We’ll see.

~~~~~~~~

I think I’ve heard it all in 2011: a couple married for a dozen years got divorced; a woman I know who got divorced and married for the third time to her old boyfriend (in every sense of the word); a single lady going out with a married man; a recently single again man with a number of kids starting a relationship with a single lady... I don’t think anything else will surprise me any more.

And my, the number of colleagues I know that have been diagnosed with various types of cancer... it’s scary how quickly and quietly this disease spreads. It’s a reminder of how fragile life and health is. Don’t ever take them for granted. Reduce your intake of acidic food and increase intake of alkaline food. Know what foods are acidic and alkaline. Let’s take care of our health and keep our bodies acid-free; we owe it to ourselves.

I’ve continued to distance myself from Facebook, only using it to share photos and quotes, and news of interest to me like football, travel and business. I’ve been a victim of malicious tweets from a mean, spiteful witch who harbours a grudge against me, so much so I was even advised to take measures to stop the witch and her tweets altogether.

Cesc broke my heart when he left Arsenal to return to Barcelona. I’m still not healed. Fortunately, I do have some help... from some of the lads below.