Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Going Solo

I was chatting with a colleague last week who just came back from an official trip to Malta. He mentioned that the person he was travelling with wasn’t into exploring so he didn’t manage to venture out either. He explained that he prefers company while travelling.

I have been travelling solo for a number of trips and years now and must say I LOVE it. This doesn’t mean I hate company, just that I’m very fussy with the company. It was Maria who pointed out that it’s better to travel alone and be happy than to put up with someone just for the sake of having company but end up not getting along with sometime during the trip. I’m glad I took her advice because it turns out that travelling solo is doable and so much fun that I haven’t looked back since.

I find travelling alone to be relaxing. OK, sure I may look like I rush about (having to cram in as many things to do and places to visit in a short time do that to me) but I get to choose what I want to do, where I want to go and the pace I want to do it at. I don’t have to compromise or negotiate or argue over my choice of place/museum/sights. I don’t have to explain and justify why I choose to visit a particular city/country, stay at a particular hotel in a particular area, what/where I plan to do/go next, duration of stay, mode of transportation, etc. I don’t have to feel disappointed or resentful if my choice of place is turned down, or feel like I have to compromise to satisfy my travel partner(s). I don’t have to wonder if my travel partner is feeling happy or satisfied. Believe me, that does wonders for my stress level and when I travel, I want to keep my stress level down to a minimum. I don’t want to go on a trip to feel frustrated or stressed; I don’t have to go on a trip to feel that anyway!

This does not mean that I dislike company. In fact, sometimes I wish that I have company to share what I was experiencing, to discuss further about the place, to share opinion, to watch over each other’s back... and sometimes there are countries where it would be wiser and advisable not to travel alone. What it simply means is I love my own company (maybe a bit too much) and I’m comfortable with my own company (this doesn’t apply to just travelling but also to shopping, dining and watching movies. I’m comfortable doing it on my own).

There are times when I was asked if I ever got lonely on my trips. Honestly, no, I never felt lonely. I may be alone but I’m not lonely. There’s a difference. And I’m never bored, I mean how can anyone bored when you have:
- to be alert at all times;
- so much to see, observe, absorb, do, decide, hear;
- to decide what to do and what you have to realistically admit may not be feasible with the limited time you have;
- to think on your feet and make split-second decisions when circumstances warrant them;
- the locals and other travellers to talk to;
- to be flexible and make alterations to your earlier plan without disrupting the flow of your journey and itinerary...

Really, it’s impossible to be bored! Besides, I also get to be selfish and choose to do/go only what/where I want. I get to choose how long I want to stay – at museums or art galleries, at historical sites, even how long I want to spend eating or if I can just make do with something simple. I get to decide if I want to climb up a particular hill or divert from a route. I can read a map but there are times when I just want to lose myself like I did in the souks and medinas in Tunisia.





And as I’ve mentioned, I’m very choosy and fussy. I don’t get on well with everyone, I take some time to be comfortable with people but with total strangers, heck, I can talk to them because they won’t judge me, they don’t have to know my life history and because realistically I may not even meet them again to worry about them.

Hmm, talking too much about this makes me think there’s a lot of similarities between travelling solo and deciding to stay single. Whatever it is, I don’t want and won’t let my marital status (or lack of it?) stand in the way.

~~~~~~~~

Adek and Cesc wish everyone a blessed Ramadan. May the Almighty grace you with good health, wealth, strength, peace and happiness in this holy month.