Monday, August 08, 2011

Cat City - August 2011

I was in Kuching over the weekend. I took half-day leave on Friday and Fire-flew there. We landed around 6 pm and it looked like it was closer to 7 pm than 6 because of the dark clouds hovering above. It had rained earlier because the ground looked wet. I searched for the airport transfer which I had pre-arranged with the guesthouse. I was quoted RM23 for the pick-up; an airport cab would cost RM26.

However, to my increased annoyance, there wasn’t anyone there. I searched for the guesthouse’s number and called. I was asked why I didn’t confirm my booking and I said, I actually had done that a week before. As it was getting late, the person advised me to just take a cab. Hello, the reason I pre-arranged is because it would be slightly more economical for me rather taking a cab. Still feeling pissed, I hurried to the taxi counter and paid for a cab. Thankfully the traffic wasn’t so bad save for on stretch just after the airport and we reached the guesthouse just before break fast time.

I broke fast with a guy who worked there on a temporary basis. Another guy (also a temp) sat and chatted with us. They were nice blokes and I had no issue with them.

I went out and walked to the shopping centre at Riverside Majestic (where I would check in the next day) and bought some food and drinks. I also went to a stall to pack some food for the next morning’s pre-dawn meal.

When I got back, the idiot staff who overlooked picking me up was there. I gave him a piece of my mind and being a typical Malay guy, ignored and cut me off. Of course this only prompted me to continue ranting. I told him he had issues if he couldn’t listen or accept feedback. He called me rude and I was so shocked and angry that I just said my last piece and stormed off. Rude? Rude? You’re not exactly polite yourself. Why couldn’t you just admit your mistake? And what about your inability to accept criticism and admit your mistake? Grrrr...!!!

Apart from the rude staff, I also wasn’t happy with the guesthouse’s slow response, and at times total lack of response. Besides the human issues, I wasn’t too thrilled either with the bathroom conditions at the guesthouse.

I woke up at 4.30 am the next morning for my pre-dawn meal and checked out just after 7. I walked to Riverside Majestic and stored my bag there. The plan for today was a trip to Bako National Park. The bus passed by as I was walking to the hotel so I had to wait for the next one out at 0815. I killed time by walking along the waterfront and Main Bazaar before returning to the bus stop at Khatulistiwa Café.

The trip to Bako took us 40 minutes (it cost RM3.50 one way). We had to pay for the park entrance (RM10) and then take a boat to the National Park. The boat cost RM47 for up to four people I think because we got charged RM54 for six people. However, only the British girl and I wanted to come back after 12 noon (the two couples wanted to stay until 4.30 pm) so we had to pay RM23.50 each on the return trip.

It took only 20 minutes or so by boat to reach the National Park. We had to register at the Park HQ and inform what trail we wanted to follow. I had initially wanted to take the Teluk Pandan Besar but later changed my mind and went along the Teluk Paku trail instead. The trails were arduous and challenging alright (not at all like the Niah trail). There was a family of monkeys at the start of the trail and my, they were evil and vicious and fierce! I had to wait for a couple with a toddler to come and join them and even then I shrieked out loud when they looked like they wanted to pounce on me.

The trail went uphill and downhill and you have to navigate your way through tree roots. Once or twice I heard some funny noises and I even wondered if there was a wild boar somewhere and what I would have to do if I encountered one. I persisted and some forty minutes later, staggered out onto a small secluded beach. I sighted some boulders in the shade and made my way there where I sat perched taking in the surroundings and the scenery. All the others who followed the trail were Caucasians and some were already swimming.

I stayed there for about 30 minutes. After collecting some seashells, I made my way back to the Park HQ. I was not looking forward to encountering the evil monkeys again and not only was I in luck because the evil primates were gone but there was a proboscis monkey there instead having his midday meal! I joined the others who were busy snapping pictures. I must have taken dozens myself. The proboscis monkey made some funny noises and I think it was his species that I heard earlier while trekking.

I met up with the British girl and her guide and agreed to meet them at the beach for our boat-ride back. It was already low tide and the water had receded so much that no boat could come near the jetty. We walked on what was the sea only a couple of hours before and had to wade the last few steps into the boat.

I took a van back to Kuching as I didn’t want to wait for the bus (the bus would only leave at 1330 and it was only 1240 then). The van cost slightly more at RM5 but moved a lot faster and we reached Kuching by 1 pm.

As I couldn’t yet check into my room, I walked along Jalan Padungan and even checked out Tun Jugah shopping centre before returning to the hotel. It was such a hot humid sweltering scorching day and I was ready to melt. I took a long shower (I felt like I could stay under the shower forever), performed prayers and read a bit of Quran before taking a siesta.

I broke fast in the room and only ventured out for dinner after prayers. Dinner was had at the stalls where I bought my pre-dawn meal the evening before. I returned the hotel and asked the hotel staff how to get to Satok Market and if there was a cinema in the vicinity. They advised me to take a cab to Satok (but of course) at RM12 a way and yes, there is a Cineplex in the Riverside shopping centre. I made my way to the Cineplex and was sorely tempted to watch Captain America again. But I didn’t.

Firefly had informed that my flight back on Monday was cancelled. Instead I was bumped to the next flight departing at 1025. It was then when I realised I forgot to bring a top to wear to office on Monday. I had three options: recycle what I wore on Friday; wear casual; or shop for a new top. I had never worn anything to wear twice in a space of a few days before and was not keen to start that.

On Sunday, I walked to the Tune Hotel to book a shuttle to the airport. It cost only RM10 but they need at least two people travelling. If you’re the only requiring it, you’ll need to pay for two people. Well, if I had to pay for two, it’ll cost me RM20 which is still less than RM26. No, I’m not stingy, just financially shrewd. The lady behind the counter couldn’t confirm if I’d be the only traveller so I promised to come back again later in the day. After that, I walked to Jalan Masjid to get the bus to Satok. Jalan Masjid is like the bus terminal there and I was sure I could catch a bus there.

There were quite a few buses to Satok. The fare is only RM1 (as opposed to RM12 if you took a cab!). I walked around, taking in the scene. It was a huge, huge market and you can get practically all your food here (fruits, vegetables, chicken, meat, even snacks). You can even get plants for your garden and some clothes. I just wanted to find a place selling Sarawak layered cakes. My friend had advised me to find it behind Hartz Chicken shop. I finally found it and was surprised as I expected a shop but this cake house, Anisah Cake, really operates out of a house! Hartz Chicken is on the main road and the house housing Anisah Cake just behind it. I bought a few rolls and left. Not to worry, they used Buttercup and margarine.

I took a van back to the hotel and stored the cakes in the fridge. I went out again to find a top for work tomorrow. I searched in Parkson and the smaller shops; I went to Tun Jugah; I even crossed the street to another shopping centre but I couldn’t for the life of me find anything suitable for office wear at all! So where do the good women in Kuching shop for their office wear? I even ventured out to the Main Bazaar under the relentless sun to no avail. So it meant I would recycle my Friday outfit after all. Good thing I had already laundered it the night before in anticipation.

I returned to the hotel and dithered if I should watch Captain America. The pull of Chris Evans (or his body? No, not just his body because he has good looks too) was just too great. Finally, I decided against it. Instead I stayed in the room, read and later napped.

Just like the evening before, I went out after evening prayers and did a bit of shopping before having dinner. I returned to the room at almost 10 and packed. There was no Star Sports in the hotel TV channel offerings – not that I would watch the match between Man Sh*tty and ManUre.

I checked out at 8.15 on Monday and walked to Tune Hotel for my 0830 airport transfer. The transfer is hourly at half past the hour beginning at 0830 (so it’s 0830, 0930, 1030... and the last shuttle at 2030). Turns out that there is a similar hourly service from the airport too on the hour (0900, 1000, 1100...until 2100). If you’re catching it at the airport, buy your ticket at the Golden Car Rental & Tours counter. Its desk is just two desks away from Hertz at the arrival hall.

Flight took off on time and we landed just after noon. I took the train back to the city and met up with Abah at Ampang Park LRT station. Then I took the bus to work and worked for the rest of the day.

Hope you had a good weekend too, which was stress-free and nowhere as hot, humid, scorching, sweltering like mine!