Monday, April 25, 2011

Love Don’t Live Here Anymore

My best mate is leaving TheOrganisation.

She had confided the intention to me some time last year and I asked if she couldn’t consider a change in department or portfolio instead. She brought it up again early this year and when I heard it, I got upset. I didn’t want to listen further and adopted the ostrich mentality. I didn’t want it to happen for it would be upsetting to me and I thought (wrongly of course) that if I didn’t want to know about it, it wouldn’t happen.


If I don’t hear you, it won’t happen. I wish. Oh how I wish.


I wish. I wish it wouldn’t happen. But it would. And I can’t stop it from happening no matter how much I want to.

My best mate is a smart gal. OK, she’s a genius. She can learn everything in the shortest time possible (including those complex and complicated matters that most of us took ages to even begin to comprehend) and yet she is the humblest person ever. She has a very good sense of humour and a very high tolerance level (look, she can stand me so, yes, she is infinitely patient and highly tolerant!). She is tactful and diplomatic, everything I wish I am but know I have to try hard to be.


And yet she is practically being driven away from TheOrganisation by someone. No, it’s not her work that’s the issue because she loves and thrives on her work. It’s just got to the point where she feels she cannot stay any longer because of this someone and she doesn’t like how her reaction to the person is changing her.

It’s a crying shame really because I know TheOrganisation will really lose out on a brilliant employee. I told her I can’t help thinking that the other person is winning in a way because this other person is staying on. I know my best friend will not stoop low and say anything bad about this other person because it’s just not her nature. So I really think it’s unfair that the person who drove her away ‘wins’ while my friend has to find an exit.

So next time you speak to your colleague, subordinate, friend, parents, siblings, even children, be careful with your speech. Because words and action can hurt and drive someone away. And even though you win the point or argument, you may actually end up losing that person. And that is a bigger loss.


~~~~~~~


Arsenal lost away to Bolton yesterday. WTF. I’m just numb with disbelief, disappointment, disillusion and depression. This is the team that beat Barcelona (and it’s not everyday that a team can do that) and yet we can’t deliver at times. Wenger is ready to take the blame and while I wholeheartedly and strongly believe that the manager must make changes this summer, it’s not the manager who needs to be changed. Wenger’s fault is he has tremendous belief in his players - but of course since he is the one who brought them in and who gives them the chance to play (even when most of us don’t think much of certain players he has so much faith in) but I think there’s nothing with him expecting more from those players, indeed there’s nothing wrong from the fans expecting much more. The players have failed Wenger, themselves and the fans. But look, we still have four more games to play and while it’s all I can do to remain optimistic about us finishing second or third now, it’s only fair to debate and question at the end of the season. Like Arseblog said, the title may be over but the season isn’t yet. Oh to be a Gooner... is an absolute torture!


Are you of the glass half-full or glass half-empty?