Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Sweet Escape

Well folks, it’s that time of the year again where Adek packs her trolley bag, bids farewell to the office (for a fortnight anyway) and embarks on another trip. (This time, she had asked Abah if she could go - and leave him alone for those two weeks - before purchasing the flight ticket. She has also made arrangements with this company to deliver food to Abah in her absence). And as usual, she is faced with the following recurring questions of what to bring (yes, after all this time, she still has decision-making headache):

Brolly or raincoat?




I’ve brought a few brollies to Europe before and ruined them all in the strong winds. So this time, I’m packing my hat and a raincoat.

Footwear: Crocs or Converse or Geox?




Err, not Birkenstock please

Which book(s) to bring? Important: it must not be boring, it must be thick enough to last me for the next fortnight but it must not be heavy


Historical tomes are a no-no

What I hope I won’t face – due to my gender, appearance, dressing, religion etc...



... and inconsideration (including but not limited to those idiots who claim full ownership of the airplane armrest. Clearly they have no clue about airplane etiquette)



What I hope to experience: Different culture, languages, people... and of course, food



An every day Caturday! (But you know what, I find I always get up early when I’m on holiday - to maximise my holiday me-time. Or because I have an early flight/train/coach to catch)



Well, OK, I’ve started but not done yet of course...



This is the first time I’m flying this particular airline long-distance. Hope I’ll be comfortable in no time (and hopefully no armrest-hogging moron too! Have checked in online and got a window seat in a 3-4-3 seating arrangement. Meaning I have to squeeze myself out and
‘walk over’ my two seat-mates if I need to use the washroom)


Note to self: be a responsible traveller.



Hopefully I’ll come back with a fresher new different perspective of the world.



And hopefully I won’t be tanned too much (yes, I’m vain. Don’t you already know?).



See you later, alligator!