Monday, May 03, 2010

OGA Day 2010

1 May every year is a designated OGA Day for our alma mater. I have never been to OGA Day because I usually travel on 1 May. Well, except for this year. And I found myself being asked if I was going and being persuaded to go. Even my sister who is bad at keeping in touch with her friends and batch-mates asked if I was going (she did dither in the end as there was a H1N1 case recently and it took a phone call from me to college to confirm that it was healthy and well to convince her to go).

So I headed to her place after work on Friday to spend the night as we planned to leave early the next morning. We left after Akak’s friend, Sheypa, arrived and drove to Bangi to pick up another of her friend. We took SILK and LEKAS highways and finally reached college around 1030. When we walked into the hall, a teenage son of an old girl was singing and playing a guitar on stage. Next was the wind orchestra performance and towards the end, some old girls joined in with their music instrument and they finished off the performance with the college song – which all of us stood up for and sang to boisterously.

After the performance in the hall, it was time for sudoku (in the hall) and games out in the mid-morning heat. There were volleyball, hockey and basketball, neither of which I partipicated in nor watched. Instead, I walked around taking pictures – the school would be relocated in 2012 and I wanted to capture as much of my old playground as I could (apparently, in the speech which I missed, the principal mentioned that they are trying to retain the premises as Junior TKC (forms 1-3) while the upper secondary be placed at the new premises). Among others, I visited the dining hall and my old dormitory block, Block C (I stayed in all four dorms of Block C; I only stayed in Block F in my second form). I was also dragged by my friends to their old dorm. After that, we walked together to watch the games – alas, the games had finished so a few of us went back to the hall for the line dancing session. Anything to get out of the heat!

After all that, we headed to the dining hall for lunch. It was a long, long wait and we were tired, hot and hungry (do not mess with hundreds of hungry girls!). Some of my mates left before lunch was served and when it was finally ready, the queue was so long that by the time I got my lunch, most dishes were finishing if not already finished.

The programme was officially over after lunch and I went to look for my sister. We left after 3 pm after performing prayers at the prayer hall.

Will I go again for OGA Day? I just might. Of course if the school moves to its new premises, we would not have the same connection with the place as we do now.