Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Dutch Courage

Busy, busy, busy, with meetings every day this week. Spending long and longer days at work. Joy... NOT.

No live match and yet I still woke up unaided at kick-off time this morning. Finally dragged myself down at 5 am and waited patiently for the results to be shown and finally it was BBC that informed me of the last-minute draw by AZ Alkmaar, denying us of an eighth straight win and three points. All together now: arghhhhh!!!

My Captain Marvel scored his fifth goal of the season (he’s now scored as many as Vermaelen and both are currently top scorers for the Gunners) in the 36th minute. His goal was also the 40th Arsenal goal in 14 matches this season, the largest haul of all the Premier League clubs.

And yet, we conceded a goal deep in stoppage time.

Moral of the story: never be complacent, play the game as if you’re playing for 120 minutes (in case of extra time) instead of only 90 (because the host scored in the 92nd minute), assess where it all went wrong and improve.

I know Liverpool and Barça lost at home (fourth defeat for the former in all competitions this season) and it’s not that I don’t care about their results (for in the long run, these may affect us) but I hope we will concentrate on ourselves instead of consoling ourselves with the results of these two clubs.

Come on you Gunners!