Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Spotlight

Today, I’m going to continue with my Singers trip.

According to the train e-ticket, passengers are to be at the platform 30 minutes before train departure. I was running late (well, the bus was late) and only arrived (after performing prayers at Le Meridian) at the waiting area at 9.10 pm. There were already a lot of other fellow passengers there – most of them with big suitcases. Hey, it’s a more convenient way to travel across the Causeway after all – and with no baggage limitation (even some coaches have baggage limitation).

I was surprised to note that there were only two platforms for inter-city trains. Somehow I had thought there would be more platforms like there are in Rome, Budapest, Madrid, Berlin, Frankfurt and other European cities (which are not even hubs to begin with). I guess it’s because our city is on the west coast of the peninsular and rail tracks can only go north, south or east. One platform is for trains going north and another for trains heading south and those travelling to the east, need to travel south first before changing at Gemas. That figures, so only two platforms are enough then.

We boarded the train 10 minutes before it was due to depart and pretty soon, we had settled ourselves in our own coach and berth. I shared a coach with passengers of other nationalities: Singaporeans, Indians and even Filipinos. Each berth had a curtain that you can draw for privacy and there were steel ladders to help those in upper berths climb up. There were railings and safety belts for upper berths for added security.

Like I’ve mentioned earlier, I slept poorly despite feeling sleepy. I kept waking up to the excited voices of new passengers, the gentle snoring of a fellow traveller (oh, how I envied him) and the shaking turbulence I felt. At times I felt the train shook so much, it was a wonder no one fell off from their berths. I really must get a lower berth should I choose to head south again but those are the first to be sold. It also got gradually cold over the night so packing a light jacket would be wise.

You can observe the kiasu-ness of Singaporeans as early as at the Immigration Counter at Woodlands – rushing to the Singaporeans-only counter when there was hardly anyone there. Oh, and in the Arrival and Departure card, I initially put ‘N/A’ next to the Address in Singapore. The Immigration officer saw this and asked for my address and when I told him I’d be flying home that evening, insisted that I write down where I intended to visit. So I wrote ‘Orchard Road’. Funny, I would have thought address is where I’d be staying,not where I’d be traipsing or visiting.

It was already sweltering and humid in the Lion City even before 9 am. I swear it’s not as bad in KL. I guess the closer you get to the Equator, the more humid it is – never mind it’s only all of two degrees latitude south of KL. I stopped for a while by the river and was surprised to note some litter here and there (in sterile Singers!) and a homeless man sleeping away on a bench (again, an unusual sight). Similarly the visit to Arab Street that afternoon was not unlike walking in a sauna. It was that humid.

I was already perspiring when I finally reached the shopping area of Orchard Road and quickly sought refuge and relief from the heat at Takashimaya.

The next few hours saw me traipsing up and down that stretch of Orchard Road from Takashimaya to Paragon to Isetan and DFS Galleria at Scotts before returning to Takashimaya. Repeat route about two or three times. My only detour was to Masjid Al-Falah, conveniently located at Bideford Road, just off Orchard Road and very near Paragon, for prayers.

Like I’ve said before, I must say I was disappointed with the sale. Maybe I expected too much. I thought there’d be better discounts, fantastic prices and a lot more choice but the stores didn’t stock any more than those in KL (in fact some stores here carry more sale items!!!). I did manage to buy something not available in KL though.

I kept thinking of the tagline ‘Uniquely Singapore’ and wondering what was so unique anyway. The sale was not unique, the food was not unique and even the MRT suffered some technical problems just like everywhere else (I waited more than 30 minutes at Bugis for the train to Changi).

So will I be back? I don’t know. It will take me a lot of convincing before I go on my next trip there (like if Arsenal suddenly decide to go there for a tour). Don’t get me wrong though. I didn’t regret going there. After all, it was my decision, uninfluenced by anyone and I arrived at my decision with a rational mind. So no regrets. Just a tad disappointed but hey surely that’s good news for my wallet.

So now I’m looking forward to the Mega Sale – which kicks off on 4 July and lasts until 31 August. Hurrah!

~~~~~~~~

I am now sporting spotlights on my face. Dang it!