Sunday, June 21, 2009

What Happens in KL

... is pretty much a routine, day after day, week after week, well, you get my drift. There’s an invisible pattern somewhere that I follow. So for me it is necessary to do something different once in a while to spice up my life. And to me, the crazier and the more spontaneous and the more impulsive, the better and the more exciting it is. That explains where I am right now, why I am here and how I got myself here.

Rewind to eight days ago: I was still seriously contemplating my
crazy idea of checking out the sale in Singers (is that oxymoronic? Surely seriously and crazy don’t belong in the same sentence?). Then at the end of Saturday, I decided, heck, I’ll just do it! I was getting very excited on Sunday and couldn’t wait to continue my ‘cost-benefit analysis’ on Monday with the following in mind: the journey must be cost-efficient and the time spent in Singers must not be too long. (More time spent means I might be more tempted to spend which is not good for my financial health. Plus taking leave for this trip is a no-no).

A visit to the national carrier website showed that there were fewer seats on offers and fewer flights with those seats too. A reluctant visit to the low-cost airline showed pretty much the same result and in fact if I decided to fly at certain times instead, the total fare would be more than that charged by the national carrier. Ridiculous!

Then at the end of Monday, I thought of checking out the train schedule. And would you believe it, there are regular services to Singers (three daily) with one of them an overnight service. And the seats look more comfortable than those of coaches and the fare was very, very reasonable too. So I bought an ADNS (short for Aircond Day Night Second) upper berth leaving KL yesterday evening and arriving into Singers this morning, just in time for me to have breakfast before hitting the stores (and I could rest and sleep on the way too and avoid a trip to LCCT. An alternative is to catch the last flight out of KL and sleep at the airport before hitting the stores the next day and returning the same evening). And because one can
claim GST only if one brings purchases out of either Changi or Seletar Airport, I bought a one way MAS ticket back, last flight out – for only SGD49. Total cost amounted to less than RM160, which is lower than that charged by this coach operator). Not bad, eh? Oh and by the way, when I checked the train website Tuesday morning, I found there was only one berth left from 24 or so the evening before. So that means this mode of transportation is popular, never mind the night service takes 10.5 hours instead of 7.5 hours on the day services.


Photo of a lower berth nicked from KTMB website

I was very excited throughout the week. Don’t get me wrong, I still don’t like Singers. I’m more excited about the trip, the journey, the adventure and the experience, rather than the destination.

And that explains why I am at Changi now. I’m waiting for my flight home.

~~~~~~~~

The train departed on time and we passed small and major towns on our way. I was feeling unusually sleepy and closed my novel at 10.30 pm. Unsurprisingly, I slept poorly. At times, I was awaken by boarding passengers, at times I felt shaken in my sleep. I suppose that was as closer as I would get to an earthquake. It sure felt like it at times. Maybe the lower berths don’t get shaken as hard, but I wouldn’t know.
We arrived at JB shortly after 6 and waited for the Immigration Officer to come on board. There was a chap who went around selling nasi lemak, fried noodles and some other breakfast food. Interesting. We then resumed our journey and stopped at Woodlands. This time, we all had to go down with all our luggage and go through Immigration. I didn’t bring my IC (but of course! I hardly ever carry it around even in KL) and was surprised when the officer asked to see mine. I don’t remember having to carry it on my previous trip.
We pulled at Tanjong Pagar station at almost 8.30 am and I made my way around the city and finally reaching Orchard Road after 10.30 am. It rained heavily at one point but I was spared as I was in DFS Galleria. The verdict? Some stores disappointed me; I was hoping they’d carry more stuff than the ones back home. There were a lot of Filipinos around too; I didn’t realise there was a huge population of them working in Singers.
Had my early dinner at Zam Zam Restaurant near Arab Street - ah, yes, the obligatory Arab Street visit. I also ended up purchasing some materials.
Walked to Bugis MRT to take the train to Changi but there was some problem with train heading east so we waited and waited and waited. Announcements were made to explain the reason for the delay - in all four languages.
Finally reached Changi just after 7 pm. Claimed GST, checked in, and went in.
And I’m off now. Bye!