Monday, June 29, 2009

Movie Marathon Month



It’s almost end of June and I’ve watched six movies in this month alone (OK, that may be a low figure for the movie buffs among us here but considering I only watch like two movies in a good month, I consider six to be quite an achievement). I don’t have any explanation for this hike in movie activity but I will not discount the fact that we’re currently in between footie seasons as one of the factors.

Anyway. I watched 17 Again, a light comedy film about a bloke who was magically transformed back to 17. Zac Effron is quite cute (apparently, he’s supposed to be my celebrity boyfriend. Heh). But seriously, what would you do if you find yourself 17 again? And do you want to be 17 again? It’s a chance to live your life again for sure, so yes it’s tempting – though I’m not sure I want to go through all those exams all over again.

I also watched Angels & Demons (at last) and Terminator Salvation. Actually I never really watched any of the earlier Terminator films and I’ll be honest here and confess that the main reason for me for watching it was because I was salivating for Christian Bale (I also wanted to watch Drag Me To Hell – if only to glimpse Justin Long (!) and I do find it curious that he acted in a horror film like that – but didn’t manage to, fortunately or unfortunately).

At home, I watched Slumdog Millionaire (yes, at long last) and Bedtime Stories (I’m glad I didn’t go to watch the latter in the theatres).

And last but not least, I watched State of Play. I thought it was a pretty good movie. Russell Crowe looked a bit bloated though but his acting was still good. At the end of it, it got me thinking: would you stick to your principles even if it means exposing your friend or causing his downfall? Would you do the right thing and risk the friendship? And when you try to save a friend, is it always out of sincerity or is there an ulterior motive?

I tried to put myself in Cal’s shoes and I wonder if I’m a reporter like he was with a friend whose political career was at stake, would I try to help him out of sincerity on the basis of our long-standing friendship, or would I also be influenced by my reporter’s interest in getting the scoop? And would I ultimately report the right story, even if it means jeopardising our friendship? What would be my motivation, friendship or work interest? Or is there a balance between the two that I can strike? It’s a tough call and I hope I won’t be making that tough decision any time.

I have yet to watch Transformers and I have also earmarked a few other movies that I want to watch when they’re released. I hope they won’t disappoint and I hope they’ll both entertain and stimulate me.

~~~~~~~~

Numerous media have seized upon the interview given by Cesc in Spanish and misinterpreting what he said, prompting him to set the record straight, reiterating that he will stay and that he won’t go anywhere. Frankly, I think it’s being blown out of proportions because the guy loves his club, his gaffer, his team-mates and the fans. He’s angry and frustrated and I can understand his frustration. As a captain, he has the right to be unhappy with the drought of trophies. It means he gives a damn about the club. If he doesn’t care about the drought and isn’t worried, then I’d be very worried indeed! Check out the sensible take on the interview here.

I love you, Cesc.