Monday, January 05, 2009

The Beginning And The End

New year, new start, new resolutions (for those who have them). But it’s the same old office, same old world, and same old never-ending violence. Same old drawing up the key performance indicators for the year, same planning for projects, same old same old.

*Sigh*

But I shall try to be optimistic (it is after all only a few days into the New Year) and continue to strive to achieve what I have set out to do:

- Be a better Muslim and a better daughter, sister and aunt
- Work on my interpersonal skills and tell the people that matter that I love them before it’s too late
- Continue travelling. The world is out there waiting for us to explore
- Stay healthy and try to keep fit
- Read more. I managed to finish 25 novels in 2008 and started two in the last week of December (still reading them)

~~~~~~~~

I watched Mamma Mia! on Saturday. It was pouring cats and dogs the whole morning and the rain delayed my arrival at KLCC. And when I was there, I got distracted by the sales and delights on offer – hey, it was the second last day of sale anyway. I was about to perform prayers when my friend sent me a text saying she was leaving house and I began to panic. I was still at KLCC at a quarter to 3; bumped into an old classmate and she told me that latecomers would not be allowed to enter until after intermission. I walked quickly outside and was looking for a cab when I saw a bus with an electronic sign that said it would go to Istana Budaya and I practically ran into the bus.

I asked the driver to drop me across the street from Istana Budaya (turned out there was a bus stop and an overhead bridge). The traffic was moving slowly but at least it was moving. And I practically ran out of the bus and up the overhead bridge, across the bridge and down.

I met my friend and we quickly walked up the stairs to the grand circle on the second floor. As luck turned out, there were some VVIPs in attendance – in the form of the PM (and wife), the YDP of Malacca, the Chief Minister of Malacca and the former Minister of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs - and they were right behind us. Phew! The show couldn’t start before the PM and his entourage were seated of course and that meant they couldn’t close the door on us. Similarly, the show couldn’t resume after intermission until after the VVIPs were back in the hall.

The show? It was simply fantastic but of course seeing it was direct from London’s West End, and I was singing and humming and tapping my feet! And I also sat next to some super duper seniors (who turned out to be my friend’s batch mates) too!

To the cast, Thank You For The Music and the magnificent show!

~~~~~~~~

I only realised it was the FA Cup third round weekend later that Saturday evening. Thankfully Arsenal gunned down Plymouth with stand-in skipper that rare bird Robin scoring a brace. From BBC website: ‘For those of you tipping Plymouth for a Cupset against Arsenal, hear this: the Gunners have never been knocked out of the FA Cup by lower-league opposition with Arsene Wenger at the helm, while the Pilgrims have not beaten a top-flight side in the FA Cup since 1984.’




Cesc attended the match to lend support to his team, crutches and all.


Get well soon my magnificent maestro matador munchkin.