Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Signs

... of an economic recession

I think we’ll be heading there sooner or later, no thanks to the financial turmoil caused by the collapse of the US sub-prime mortgage market and the weakening greenback. Prices of many commodities have also reached new highs in recent months and while this may be good for commodity-exporting countries, commodity importers and consumers are beginning to feel the pinch from higher commodity prices, with concerns of the impact on the poor in developing countries. Already the rising rice prices have hit poor Filipinos and other countries will also likely face food crisis. So be prepared for rising food prices coming our way.

And that’s free economic advice for today.

~~~~~~~~

... of my best friend’s visit

Of late, I’m especially and easily irritated and impatient. Was stuck in a meeting that lasted more than two hours yesterday afternoon and was impatient and annoyed with the slow progress. Oh, and I was handed a piece of work on Friday that was initially assigned to another. Like, what the heck! And while I hadn’t yet entered the moody phase on Friday, I am definitely in that phase now.

Need I say more? Stay out of my way. (A Scouser was pestering me earlier today and I practically snapped at him).

~~~~~~~~

... that nothing is what it seems

When we were young(er), we used to think we are invincible, that we are powerful, that the world is our oyster and we have all the time in the world to do things. But of course, things don’t normally go as planned. Obstacles get in the way; life throws back challenges at us and threatens to pull us down.

I got this picture from a mate yesterday. Yes, ancient, I know. It was taken about 30 years ago (can’t you tell from the clothes and UFO glasses?). My eldest half-sister is in the picture (to be honest, I didn’t recognise her the first time I saw it as I was looking for my mate instead. Yes, my mate is much, much older than me) and she must be about 19 then.

My half-sister passed away 10 years after the picture was taken and this year marks the twentieth anniversary (is that the right word?) of her passing. She had bone cancer. But in the picture below, she would always look like any other healthy 19-year old girl.



So let’s make the best of our time left in this world and prepare for our journey in the hereafter which will be more permanent.