Friday, April 04, 2008

April Fools

I’m sure most of you had read about Sufiah Yusof, the British citizen daughter of a Malaysian lady. She made the headlines previously when she was admitted into Oxford at the tender age of 13 and later when she ran away from Oxford. Now she’s made headlines again and this time, the child prodigy has turned to prostitution to support herself.

And shortly after this seemingly shocking bit of news, we hear of the foolish idiots who want to start a campaign to save Sufiah. Don’t get me wrong: this novel idea is noble enough but why does the Government want to save a non-tax payer and a non-Malaysian too – and no doubt using our taxpayers’ money for it too – when she probably doesn’t even want to be saved? When there are more pressing issues to solve in the country – drug addiction, prostitution, illegal racing, just to name a few - all in our backyard? For starters, she’s supposed to be a brilliant person so surely she knows what she’s doing. Heck, I dare say no one forced her to do it. She can easily get another decent job, like I said, she is bright enough. But she chose to resort to selling herself and she made that choice herself consciously.

I’m not against saving someone from self-destruction but I do object strongly if our monies are being used for it. I don’t care if NGOs or voluntary/charitable organisations want to go and save her but please do not utilise our taxpayers’ money. Why are we always bent on solving problems far away and not doing enough to solve domestic social issues? It reminds me of the time when the Government was busy trying to offer all kinds of financial help to the descendant of the legendary Mahsuri, who like Sufiah, is not even a Malaysian. And yet we have many of our own students who are more deserving and yet deprived of financial aid – heck some even have to drop out of school/university, some have to resort to borrowing money, and some having to juggle studying and part-time work to support themselves.

Stupid fools. I don’t know who is a bigger fool: Sufiah who chose to earn a living this way or the stupid Minister (and his deputy) at the PM’s Department. Sometimes I think the latter just wants to be seen as doing something rather than doing the right thing. Well, considering who they (the Minister and deputy) report to, maybe I shouldn’t be too surprised.

Stupid fools!!!

~~~~~~~~

Roma, which my mate and I hoped will stop ManUre’s progress, lost at home ground in their first leg of Champions League quarter-finals.

Stupid fools!!! (At least Arsenal drew with Liverpool. Oh and we’re meeting them again tomorrow and Tuesday. And Arsenal will be fools if they lose).

~~~~~~~~

I went to the nearby departmental store after office hours yesterday. There was a ‘warehouse sale’ for members and I borrowed my friend’s card to attend the sale. Only to realise when I reached the entrance that I had left the card in the office. I felt like kicking myself there and then. And to think I had to walk in the drizzle – the few rare times I go anywhere without my brolly and it had to rain.

Oh no, I’m no fool, just a forgetful ditsy scatterbrain.

~~~~~~~~

It’s been raining often of late. Some say it’s because of Chin Beng aka Ching Ming aka Qing Ming. I don’t mind the rain as it gets too hot otherwise.

Have a good rainy weekend peeps!