Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Numb Me, Drill Me, Floss Me, Bill Me

Paid an overdue visit to my dentist shortly after returning back to KL soil. Whenever I lie there in the chair, I try not to think of the pain or the horrible blood-chilling noise of that drilling machine [or whatever it’s called]. To keep my mind off the unpleasantness, sometimes I imagine I’m far away, anywhere but there in that chair and doing something more exciting. Sometimes I pretend that I’m being held captive by aliens who are doing tests on me. Often I’d recite Quranic verses and talk to God. If I run out of things to think or imagine or talk to God, there’s always the background music - the clinic tunes in to some oldie station - to help calm my frayed nerves. By the way, sing this posting title to the tune of U2’s Hold Me, Kiss Me, Thrill Me, Kill Me, so altogether now, numb me, drill me, floss me, bill me...

Actually, my dentist is very gentle - yes, she is so gentle that now I actually look forward to my dental appointments rather than dread them - although I do dislike sitting there with the blinding light in my eyes [despite shutting my eyes tightly], my mouth open wide [‘Come on girl, open wider and bigger!’ my dentist would say and I’d try hard to follow her instruction], my hands clenched tight at my sides and my body tense [can’t help it, I can never relax easily in that chair]. And that is one time when someone can talk to me without me feeling oblige to reply. Like how do you reply anyway when you’re sitting there totally helpless and temporarily mute anyway.

Thankfully this visit lasted less than half an hour (I like to think I have good dental hygiene despite this visit being overdue by more than a month. Heh).


Until the next visit then.