Friday, June 29, 2007

Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of

... is to me one of the most beautiful U2 songs. I first listened to the song without knowing the title and when I found out the title, thought it was a tad too long. Long title or not, I enjoy the song anyway.


I find myself relating to the song a lot this week. Especially when I am stuck in seemingly endless meetings which last for hours on end so much so my eyes glaze over and my head starts throbbing by the end of each meeting. And as if that is not enough, I have been chosen as the unlucky one to coordinate responses for some input needed by another party urgently. And that usually means harping and following up until all input is received. Being stuck in meetings and stuck with an assignment I can’t get out of. Oh joy.

Is it any wonder then why my mind keeps wandering to the following lyrics?

You’ve got to get yourself together
You’ve got stuck in a moment and now you can’t get out of it
Don’t say that later will be better now you’re stuck in a moment
And you can’t get out of it


Still, I take comfort in the following lyrics of the same song:

And if the night runs over
And if the day won't last
And if your way should falter
Along this stony pass

It’s just a moment
This time will pass


And yes, this nightmare of a week will soon come to pass.

Surely you have been stuck in those moments yourself too?

~~~~~~~~

I just found out that one of the two interns attached to our Department is an orphan. He is the elder of two siblings. And their grandmother who they were living with previously just passed away earlier in the month. Somehow this bit of information makes me sad. I feel sad because I never really talked to him or the other intern and I really should have made some effort in getting to know them (and today is their last day of internship here too). I feel sad because I am privileged and blessed to still have my parents’ love and yet sometimes I take this love (and them) for granted.

In a way, I’m glad for this discovery for I don’t want to be stuck in this taking-people-for-granted mode. So I took some time to talk to the chap earlier today and the Muslim staff in the department also agree to collect some money for him as sedekah.