Monday, May 21, 2007

The Greatest Battle Lies Within

Having watched the first two editions of Spiderman, I couldn’t wait to watch Spiderman 3. I only managed to do it yesterday as I was away when it was released and though it was released worldwide in the same week, I didn’t fancy paying some foreign currency to watch it in a foreign language.

As you know, in the first Spiderman we learn together with Peter Parker as he discovers his extraordinary powers and that with great power comes great responsibility. In the second, we observe how these special powers interfere with him trying to establish a normal life. Doc Oc, the eight-armed villain, was an image of the passions gone wild: when our passions are out of control, humanity — as the movie rightly demonstrated — is on a Runaway Train bound for destruction. And now in the third instalment, we follow him coming face to face with his darker side having to deal with his emotional issues without the guiding voice of his uncle, Ben Parker. It is in fact the emotional trauma of his uncle’s death that sets him on the path to the dark side. ‘Confront the force of darkness or embrace it’.




Unfortunately, at the ending, Peter’s best friend and worst enemy, Harry died after sacrificing himself to save Peter.

And if there’s anything else I learn from Spiderman 3, it’s Aunt May’s lesson of forgiveness. Oh, and the movie ends with this bit of wisdom: Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice... It’s our choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what’s right.

Even hurt can be transformed into something positive. Forgiveness is the only path that brings true resolution to our pain. The alternative is to be possessed by the black, parasitic goo of bitterness and revenge. It’s our choice.

~~~~~~~~

This song, I’m Through With Love, is one of two songs sang by MJ in the movie.


I’m through with love
I’ll never fall again
Said adieu to love
Don’t ever call again
For I must love you or no one
And so I’m through with love

I’ve locked my heart
I’ll keep my feelings there
I’ve stocked my heart
With icy, frigid air
And I mean to care for no one
Because I’m through with love

Why did you lead me
To think you could care?
You didn’t need me
For you had your share
Of slaves around you
To hound you and swear
With deep emotion and devotion to you

Goodbye to spring and all it meant to me
It can never bring the thing that used to be
For I must have you or no one
And so I’m through with love

I’m through with love

Baby, I’m through with love


Don’t worry, Adek is not through with love although she did previously enjoy watching Down With Love.