Thursday, March 08, 2007

Love Of The Common People

‘Cause she’s living in the love of the common people
Smile’s from the heart of a family man.
Daddy’s gonna buy you a dream to cling to,
Mama’s gonna love you just as much as she can
And she can.

Dr Peck defines love as ‘the will to extend one’s self for the purpose of nurturing one’s own or another’s spiritual growth’.

I have been amazed, made pleasantly aware of, reminded and touched by my parents’ love many times recently. And sometimes I wonder if I’m worth the love. With all my stubbornness, moodiness, faults, rebellion, well, I think it’d need anyone who loves me lots of patience, tolerance, consideration and understanding, to say the least. And only my parents can give me that unconditional love which unfortunately I tend to take for granted.

Oh yes, growing up, I occasionally had issues with them. They insisted [and still insist] on knowing where I am going, who I’m meeting, how long the meeting will take, how I’m getting there etc, etc, etc. I resented these questions but now I understand; it’s because they love me and care enough for me to want to know where I am. It’s better any day than to be treated indifferently, or worse, to be ignored altogether. And it’s certainly not easy raising a child these days, especially if she is difficult, rebellious and stubborn. Oh dearie me.

Now you’d better go home where it’s warm
Where you can live in a love of the common people,
Smile from the heart of a family man.
Daddy’s gonna buy you a dream to cling to
Mama’s gonna love you just as much as she can
And she can.

Living on a dream ain’t easy
But the closer the knit the tighter the fit
And the chills stay away.
You take ’em in stride for family pride.
You know that faith is in your foundation
And with a whole lot of love and a warm conversation
But don't forget to pray.
Making it strong where you belong

And we’re living in the love of the common people
Smile’s from the heart of a family man.
Daddy’s gonna buy you a dream to cling to
Mama’s gonna love you just as much as she can
And she can.

Yes, we’re living in the love of the common people
Smile’s from the heart of a family man.
Daddy’s gonna buy you a dream to cling to
Mama’s gonna love you just as much as she can.

~~~~~~~~

Dammit. My left palm is itching. Not a good sign. Itchy left palm means money will leave my hands; itchy right palm means money will flow in. Superstition or not, it has somehow been true for me. No, it’s not superstition but premonition.

Oh dearie me!

~~~~~~~~

My heart goes out to the poor baby elephant, Amid, which lost its mother’s love at only three months of age. Poor, poor baby.