Monday, September 18, 2006

The Weekend Senza Una Uomo

Having led a nomadic existence especially during the past few weekends, I decided to stay at My Own Private Idaho during the weekend. The usual inevitable house cleaning was done on Saturday morning followed by a reward of the flick You, Me And Dupree and some retail therapy.

Sunday Morning was spent pulling out weeds *ugh* before tackling the dreaded ironing chore. A noon perambulate to Bangsar Shopping Centre then ensued for another well-deserved retail therapy session. Spent considerable time trying tubes and tubes of lipstick so much so my lips got all swollen like they were stung before Finally settling on two tubes; it started out as fun before I got addled as to the shades that would suit me. After that, I had a fun time trying on clothes and a not-at-all fun time parting with more dosh on some tops before heading home. Dark clouds were gathering and rain seemed imminent and a Sure thing, but it was still a pleasant stroll back because it was windy and not too sunny, and anyway I was armed my shades and brolly to protect me from UV.

I was also practising my singing for the event later this week and was karaoke-ing during the weekend – mixed sessions of crooning to oldies and then singing to Backstreet Boys [I’m a closet teenybopper still stuck in my teenage phase. Oh, and I sing Britney Spears too Sometimes! But shhh...!] and Paul Young. I do wonder what my neighbours heard on their sides of the wall and hope the walls are thick enough to insulate their ears from any pain.

~~~~~~~~

My Girl update for Friday night episode: Gong-chan brought Yoo-rin to a temple to pay respect and offer prayers to his late aunt. They then went in search for a meal but somehow Lost their way. Stranded in a jungle with a car running out of fuel and no mobile coverage to get help, they stumbled upon a village. They attended the village head’s birthday party [what a coincidence eh!], got fed and offered a free place to crash for the night. Gong-chan was sleeping when he was awakened by the hostess who told her Yoo-rin had a bad case of indigestion. The host suggested taking her to an acupuncturist and insisted he carry her on his back a la piggy back ride. It was a hilarious sight seeing them race through the forest with Gong-chan struggling under Yoo-rin’s weight.

Unfortunately, the next day Gong-chan learnt that his ex-g/f had an accident and rushed to visit her. And they made up. Well, for the moment that is.


This is the car scene when they made up. He is looking at Yoo-rin in the side mirror trying to chase the vehicle ’cause she left her handbag in the car. Isn’t he simply cute?!


~~~~~~~~

The lady neighbour – we hardly ever exchange hellos [‘cause we hardly ever meet, sad, eh? But let’s keep it that way ‘cause I’m not too hot with Nosy Parkers] – called me over and said that apparently there were some lowlife trying to break into my backyard late Saturday Night or rather very early Sunday Morning. I was shocked when I first heard it then a little scared but the more I thought of it, the angrier I got. Angry that there are people who think they can just break into other people’s houses and steal our possessions. We work hard for our money and they think they can just come in and take away what we work hard for? How dare they? How dare they terrorise us such that we fear for our lives, that we have to lock ourselves in and lead an existence not unlike caged chickens just to keep them out? How dare they misuse their strength to intimidate their victims? And the perpetrators are all men. Yes, men. Uomo. The species who are supposed to protect the weaker among the society, who are supposed to ensure law and order are upheld, etc. And to think we, the weaker sex, have to take up self-defence classes to fend ourselves against these criminals.

What I find strange is that the lonely uninhabited house two doors away has been broken in a few times while micasa was left undisturbed for the few years when it was uninhabited - but with still some possessions nevertheless - but now that it is occupied, someone tried to break in. I'm not complaining that my place had not been burgled into, just pondering out aloud here.

OK, I’m not naïve. These things happen but things must have gone so bad that people have to resort to breaking into other people’s houses to steal. Where did we go wrong then that there are people still unemployed or poor enough that they have to resort to this? Whatever happened to all those zakat and taxes we paid?

This morning, on my way to work, I saw a rumpled black tote with the words ‘Australia’ emblazoned across it. No doubt flung by snatch thieves after having gone through the victim’s bag for money and possessions. Reminded me of what I went through before. Yes, been there, experienced that. And I was briefly left traumatised by those experiences.

Now I’m at work but am still worried that someone may attempt a break-in while I’m in The Office. It wouldn’t be pleasant coming back to a messed up and thoroughly searched pad but I reckon that’s better than being held at knife point or sth. But I shall leave my affairs to God ‘cause I know He will protect me.

All the same, I practised some kung-fu kicks last night, well, just in case.


~~~~~~~~

Arsenal, without their star striker Thierry Henry, beat ManU(re) 1-0 - at Old Trafford no less - for their first win of the season [and ManU(re)’s first defeat!], thanks to Adebayor who flicked a pass from Fabregas past Kuszczak who made his debut to replace van de Sar. YEESSSSS!!! Pictures courtesy of BBC.