Thursday, September 14, 2006

Long Live The King

I Finally did what I've been setting aside for some time now: print the past twelve months' worth of photos of trips and events. That's what digital photography does to me; there's no real urgency to print them photos 'cause I can view them with my laptop. But I still like looking at them and flipping through albums - nothing beats the look and feel experience - so despite the digital technology, I still print them. And my laptop is so heavy I'm Sure I could develop hand muscles if I carry it around long and often enough [should I want to], so lugging it around just to show the photos I took to family and friends doesn't sound like much fun or appealing.

My procrastination translated into slightly more than 500 photos [and that was after deleting some blurry ones!] so you can just Imagine the damage to my wallet...

Dashed off to collect the photos after work Yesterday and brought just enough cash to buy a loaf of Gardenia Toast'em bread [at the nearby supermarket] and leave me with some change. I was planning to fast today and thought I deserve a good sahur. Gardenia Toast'em bread is the only bread I can stomach now; five years at boarding school made me really dislike bread. I thought my dislike for bread could be overcome by my (ahem!) laziness/almost nil knowledge/interest/enthusiasm to cook [this despite of, and probably largely due to, the domestic science subject I had to take in lower secondary] during my undergrad days in England, but no. Instead, I successfully managed to breed colonies of mould and fungi on my abandoned and half-forgotten loaves of bread. If I remembered in time and/or the ducks were Lucky, I'd feed them to the ducks, but even those swimming birds could be very choosy [or maybe we just shared the same dislike for bread]. I'm OK with buns but I dislike pastries 'cause they go all crumbly and flaky and half would end up on my clothes or on the floor/plate/wherever rather than in my mouth. Anyway, I digress.

As I entered the supermarket, the sight that greeted me was that of rows and rows of packed durian sitting prettily there, all fleshy and yellow and enticing. The price tags said RM10 for two packs of local durian and RM25 for the D24. I looked longingly at them and almost felt like kicking myself for not bringing more dosh. Walked all around looking for the bread aisle only to discover it was actually so very near the entrance! [The supermarket was recently renovated okay, I'm usually not that blurred when it comes to Shopping, even if it's just for groceries!].

I couldn't resist paying them durian packs one last visit just before going to the checkout counter. There they were still looking as if they were silently begging me to 'Buy me! Buy me! No, me! Look at me, all nice and juicy!'. And then this guy came along and told me they were having a sale [!! a durian sale!] and the durian was going for RM10 for five packs. Five packs. Five. Hamsah. Cinque. [It's like buy three free two, my oh my].



or

???

No guessing as to what ruled the day. Durian reigned supreme of course. No Gardenia Toast'em loaf of bread as planned but I brought five packs of durian back to micasa.

Yes, long live the King. The King of Fruits!