Thursday, September 21, 2006

Fanatic?

In case you don't already know it, I get easily into the characters of Whatever novel I happen to be reading and movie I happen to be watching. Likewise for Korean dramas [but of course]. I can just feel what the heroine is going through - especially when her role seems to be close to home. And most of the time, it seems the heroines are playing out my life - 'cause honey, Korean dramas are normally romantic comedies - the search for Mr Right [mind you, not Mr Perfect! 'Cause I'm hardly perfect myself. But then guys look for Miss Perfect don't they?!] and their seemingly hopeless situations, the hurt, the pain, the anguish before ultimately love conquers all [as cheesy as it sounds, don't we all love good endings? Except that mine is still a never-ending classic tale of a Failure To Launch]. Am I a softie then?

And I cry along too. [OK, I cry watching some Disney movies too]. So sue me for being emotional. All the same, it's still embarassing to emerge from the theatre with a tear-streaked face when you're on a date. I even remember crying after reading a Harold Robbins novel. That's how involved I am in the character(s).

And I scream and cover my eyes when watching horror and/or thriller movies. I don't know why I still go watch movies that will set my heart racing at 160 km/h. I once hid behind the door when watching The Omen with Lin. Yeah, I'm cowardly custard that way.

I cannot understand how people can remain emotionless when watching a movie or drama. I just can't. I suppose they similarly don't understand how people like me get all involved and engrossed in the movies/dramas we watch.

If there's a particular drama or hero I like, I'll google to find out more. I even try to find episode guides. But surely you already know that. Does that make me a fanatic? [and especially a Korean drama fanatic at that?]

~~~~~~~~

So here's the latest My Girl update: YR's father left her to find a job [he's a sort of a loser when it comes to getting jobs and holding on to one and wastes his money away on gambling and drinking] and she rushed to find him. But she didn't manage to. Our hero came to apologise for thinking the worst of her [she had to pawn some jewellery as peace offering to some thug to get her dad out of jail; he thought she sold them off for self gain] and comforted her.

She got drunk that night and GC rushed to fetch her. On the way, she threw up - on his coat, no less! Her friend happened to pass by and met GC for the first time. He then showed GC the way to his sister's place where YR hang out after leaving GC's mansion. On the way, YR's friend told GC about YR's comments on him that went like this:

YR's friend: But I think your personality is very different from what Yoo Rin described you as.

GC: Personality... what did she say about me?

(*flashback of YR*) 'YR: To sum him up in one phrase: He's a HORRIBLE person.'

YR's friend: You even have a handsome face!

GC: My face...?

(*flashback of YR*) 'YR: He looks like a gangster!'


YR's friend: As a joke, I told her that she should take her chance and seduce you.

(*flashback of YR*) 'YR: Are you nuts?!'

Upon hearing YR's comments about him, he purposely swung the car from left to right, jerking and jolting our drunk heroine in the back so much so she bumped herself against the car. He then insisted on spending the night in the hairdressing salon downstairs. Yes, in the uncomfortable chair. And this is how YR's friend found him the next morning.


The next morning, after GC asked his secretary to bring over a change of clothes, they had the following conversation.

YR: I... What happened to me yesterday? I climbed up and picked the star, but I can't tell if it was a dream or if it was real...

GC: You seriously don't remember? Yesterday, because of you, I... Then why did you drink so much? You go from food indulgence to alcohol indulgence?

YR: But did I ever ask for you to come pick me up? And also, do you really want to bother Secretary Yoon at this time of the day to bring you clothes? Such a baby...


GC: Clothes... WHY do you think I ask her to bring me clothes? What, you don't remember? Here, smell it!

YR: Oh the stench... Seol Gong Chan, did you throw up?

GC: Who? ME? Fine. I understand why you wanted to get drunk, and you're insisting you can't remember a thing... We'll just say it was me who did it. We'll just say... Pretend, I guess.

YR: But uhm... Yesterday, did I slam against something? My body is aching all over.

GR: [silent]

As the day progressed, GC developed a fever and cold as a result of sleeping in the cold salon. later that evening, YR thoughtfully made him some drink.

YR: Have some tea!

GC: What, you don't even know how to knock?

YR: I did knock.

GC: When somebody knocks, they ... (*did some knocking on his table*) and then waits until the person in the room tells them to come in.

YR: Yeah, well you come in with ease even when you're told NOT to come in...

(*YR reluctantly walked back to the door & did what he asked her to*)


GC: Come in. What are you doing here?

YR: Drink this. I drank it when I was in Japan, it's 'egg alcohol'.. it's really good for when you have a cold.

GC: It's very effective.

YR: Well, seems like from yesterday you caught a cold because of me when you were sleeping at a cold place and since you are too scared to get shots so...Trust me, it's very effective... Drink up!

GC: To tell me to trust you is telling me not to drink it... (drank anyway)


YR: Geesh, it's just a saying. How is it? Not too bad, eh? If it works well, the next time you get a cold I'll... Never mind. There shouldn't be a next time for a cold... Well then.. Keep working.

~~~~~~~~

OK, so maybe I am a Korean drama fanatic. Hardly a crime, eh.

I'm going to miss tomorrow night's episode because of the event I mentioned previously. Dang!