Saturday, August 19, 2006

Destressing A Distressed Mind

It's a sunny Saturday afternoon/early evening and I'm in The Office, tidying up things and tying up work. Nice... NOT! Anyway, was earlier at BB. Funny how forking out dosh can actually cheer me up but that's the power of retail therapy of course! I decided I deserve a treat and a pamper after all the stresses I've been through the past few weeks. I was also very distressed Yesterday when I learnt that there's a possibility of a return of Mummy's neck tumour. Oh God, I'm so not ready to deal with this new test. I wonder if I'm just being a normal human here or if my iman is that weak that I cannot withstand God's tests.

It's nice and quiet and peaceful in The Office now. One can actually do a lot of work but oh, I'd sound like such a workaholic and I'm hardly that! I remember those weekends when I'd come to The Office and studied. It actually did help.

Am planing to catch a movie tomorrow. I don't fancy Adam Sandler but heck, will try to watch Click - if there's still tickets, seeing school hols have started. Planning to go for a morning walk tomorrow. Haven't gone for a walk in ages... need some endorphin fix.

My best mate said depression is actually very common - Boy, was I relieved to hear that! I'm pasting here some of what she said for the benefit of other readers: Depression is more of feeling low which persists beyond normality.It is an extension of 'normality'. [And hearing voices, seeing things etc are not part of depression, heh! Be rest assured Adek is not seeing nor hearing nor imagining things!]. There are anti-depressants to combat depression which are really safe, they don't cause sedation or dependence. Patients can stop taking them when they feel stronger emotionally. Basically depression is just an imbalance of chemicals in the body, that's it. Sometimes by just explaining that to patients makes them feel a lot better because they think there is a stigma to it, when it is just another medical condition like a broken leg. And get this, it would probably be abnormal not to feel down if you're really in a crappy situation! People who just dismiss depression as a 'state of mind' are pretty ignorant and ill informed. It is certainly NOT that whatsoever.

Phew!

It's getting late and I've stayed in The Office long enough for a Saturday so I'm going back to My Own Private Idaho. See You Later, Alligator!