Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Bonjour Paris!

Another early start for me today. Woke just after 4 am to catch the last crucial, nail-biting 20 minutes or so of the second leg match of the Redcurrants and the Yellow Submarines. And it was probably good that I didn't wake any earlier and sacrifice my beauty sleep as the Yellow Submarines clearly dominated the game. Almost had a premature cardiac arrest as I watched the game being played while alternating between watching the clock, praying hard for the Gunners to make some real macho attacks, nibbling on chocolates to (hopefully) steady my nerves and cursing the Gunners loudly for their poor [and barely existent] attacking attempts and horrible passing. Talk about being Under Pressure! Really, watching a footie match shouldn't be this stressful.

And then... at the 88th minute, Villareal won a penalty. I couldn't believe it, even the commentators clearly disagreed with this poor decision by the referee.

I have to admit, I didn't watch as Riquelme prepared to take the penalty. I just couldn't. Instead I curled up on the sofa, covered my eyes with both hands - just as what I would do when I watch horror movies - and prayed very, very hard. Please God, if they don't deserve the penalty in the first, then they shouldn't and mustn't score. Heck, it was a horrifying moment.

And all hail Herr Lehmann!!! He saved Argentine Riquelme's poor kick. All rejoiced on the Gunners' side of the El Madrigal stadium and me, having finally risking a peep as the suspense threatened to kill me, rejoiced too albeit rather belatedly of course. Anguish on the Villareal side of the stadium. Well, if you don't deserve it in the first place, you don't. God is fair.

Another 3 minutes added on but it seemed a lifetime. With frayed nerves, my eyes continued to be glued to the screen, willing the clock to tick tick tock faster and (still hoping, heck gotta be optimistic) for the Redcurrants to pose some last-minute threat to Villareal's goalie.


~~~~~~~~

(to the tune of Madonna's Hung Up song)

Time goes by so slowly
Time goes by so slowly
Time goes by so slowly
I don't know what to do

~~~~~~~~

Three minutes later: the whistle was finally blown! And the Redcurrants had done it somehow (they are just really Lucky, what with the poor performance), sinking the Yellow Submarines to reach their first ever Champions League final. And half a world and several time zones away, yours truly was excitedly jumping and screaming with hands in the air. Will it be AC Milan? Will it be Barcelona? That will be answered in less than 24 hours.

Strange how Arsenal have done remarkably well so far, with clean sheets in this League but struggling in the EPL to even book a fourth placing and secure an automatic spot in next season's Champions League. Anyway, Bonjour The City of Lights!