Thursday, April 27, 2006

After The Rain

Not sure if it rained some time last night but as I left home for work this morning, there was a very light drizzle. Missed the bus but as I reached the bus stop, I was rewarded instead with a beautiful sight of not one, but two rainbows! The sight of these simple nature phenomenon never fails to awe me. Although it has been raining regularly of late, the last time I saw one was months ago. I sat rooted to the spot, admiring the rainbows and marvelling at the fine display of life's simple pleasures.

My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky.
- Wordsworth, My Heart Leaps Up

I could see the end of the small rainbow, arching high above and stretching into the distance that looked deceptively near. The bigger, less clear rainbow twin disappeared soon after. Took out my magazine and proceeded to read and when I looked up again just a mere few minutes later, the smaller rainbow had vanished out of sight too.

To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
To throw a perfume on the violet,
Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
Is wasteful and ridiculous excess.
- William Shakespeare, King John

I was reminded of how Lucky I was to be rewarded such glorious sight, enough to make me forget my worldly problems. Thank you, God. With such a glorious start, it should be a Lovely Day ahead. Amen.

Boy, am I glad I missed the first bus!