Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Seremban: This Used To Be My Playground

I decided it’s high time to revisit and really explore Seremban.  I actually lived there for five years when I was at the penitentiary (just kidding!) but had never really properly explored the town. As I have to limit my trips to short local trips now that dad is frail, I decided it was a good time as any to explore the town. I left micasa early on Saturday, 28 May 2022, and walked to get the feeder bus to MVMM. However, as things turned out, I was still in KL two hours later having missed the train, no thanks to the feeder bus which didn’t appear. I finally took the 08:40 train to Seremban, arriving at 09:54.


I walked towards Terminal One and walked past it to the Wesley Methodist Church. This church was founded in 1915 to cater to the waves of Chinese migrants (some of whom were Christians) who flooded into the are following the discovery of tin ore in 1870. Then I walked along Jalan Dato Sheikh Ahmad until I hit Jalan Dato Bandar Tunggal where I turned left. There are a number of old shophouses in town and I was happy as I love old buildings and ancient ruins. I detoured into side streets to take photos and wandered my way up. I passed the building which now functions as the state headquarters for Bank Simpanan Nasional – it was built in 1897 for the Office of the Sanitary Board and the State Religious Department. During the World War II, it was commandeered by the Japanese. After the war, it functioned as the headquarters for the Seremban Town and Municipal Councils.



Old shophouses

Currently the HQ for BSN for the state


I walked up to Masjid Jamek, a red mosque with a pagoda-shaped minaret and a tower in the Malaccan style instead of a dome. The mosque dates back to 1924. I walked down Jalan Kapitan Tam Yeong and as I was about to turn to Jalan Yam Tuan, I saw a beautiful old building and went to take a photo of it before returning to Jalan Yam Tuan. I walked on until I reached Church of the Visitation, a Catholic church which was founded by French missionaries. In the mid-1800s, French priests based in Kuala Lumpur would visit their flock in Melaka every two months and they would break their bullock cart journey in Seremban where they would perform services in an attap hut. These regular visitations may account for the church’s name. A proper building was built and the current building dates from 1899. There was a wedding ongoing when I walked past.



Masjid Jamek
Beautiful old building at Jalan Kapitan Tam Yeong


I turned left right after the church and climbed up Jalan Lim Kee Siong. I walked on and stumbled upon a stately building which used to house the Handicraft Centre but which is now abandoned. This used to be the home of Captain Murray, the British Resident to Negeri Sembilan. Then I turned left and walked up to the State Library building (once known as the Sir Henry Gurney Library). Built in 1912 and designed by A. B. Hubback, the architect responsible for many of KL’s famous landmarks, the building originally served as the office of the State Secretary. At the nearby roundabout, I could see Wisma Negeri with its distinctive Sumatera-style roof. The lake garden is also nearby.



This used to be the Handicraft Centre
This used to the State Library/Sir Henry Gurney Library
Sir Henry Gurney Library from anther angle
Sir Henry Gurney Library and the War Memorial. Shame they were cordoned off
Wisma Negeri on the right


My friend had been trying to contact me and we agreed to meet in front of the State Mosque. However, I got distracted by another beautiful building and went to investigate. I was taking photos when my friend and her two older sisters – who also just arrived by train from KL but on the train after mine - spotted me. They literally picked me up and we drove off. First she brought me to our old boarding school grounds (our school had relocated more than a decade ago). At first the guard didn’t want to let us in as there was a PTA meeting and there were many cars inside. He had his orders of course and was only doing his job. My friend then called a teacher and asked for permission to enter. So we were granted permission and drove in but we just stayed in the car and didn’t venture out.



Beautiful abandoned building

The back of our old school hall. Film shows, Interhouse dancing competition, Interform English and Malay dramas were held here and we also sat for major exams here
Dormitory blocks for Yellow and Green houses
Dormitory blocks for Green and Blue houses


After that, my friend drove us to Hayyan Huda Opah’s Kitchen for lunch. We had to park outside the restaurant compound though as the parking area was full and some enterprising neighbours charged us RM5 to park in their area.Customers must take off their footwear before entering and there are four menus to choose from (from twin sharing). It’s local fare (not necessarily Nogori food) served in classic crockery. Interesting concept. Food was delicious and even I managed to eat (only one dish was quite hot). We also shared some cakes for dessert.


I got the menus from the FB of the restaurant

My friend and her sisters
Friendly customer greeter


After lunch, my friend dropped me off at the quaint train station (built in 1924). I had time to cross over to the post office to take photo and cross back. I also had ample time to perform prayers so I did that before entering the station, crossing the platform and waiting for the train back to KL.



Train station
Post office which we used to go once upon a time


I must say that was a very enjoyable and satisfying trip to Seremban and while the town is not famed for its tourist attractions, don’t underestimate it. In fact, it might just give you a pleasant surprise.