Monday, December 09, 2019

The Joshua Tree Concert

When I found out that U2 was coming to Singapore in end-November, I immediately tried buying a ticket. I was unsuccessful at first and the tickets had apparently sold out so much so that U2 announced they would add another night (Sunday night). I then went to a third party website before I could purchase a ticket and my, it cost a bomb to me (I only earn MYR).

The coach tickets were purchased in early November and then it was the day. The coach left Bangsar LRT at 07:03 and we made good time until we reached the Second Link Expressway. We were on the Second Link for 45 minutes! Good thing I had gone to the bathroom after clearing passport control at the Malaysian side. We disembarked and had to bring all our belongings to screen. I joined the long queue at 13:01 and had only reached the top of the queue at 15:01. Yes, that’s right. I stood two bloody hours and then some! There was a simultaneous shift change and we had to wait until the monitor came back online before the gate opened to allow us in. It was a good thing I brought a thick novel. I must’ve finished about 120 pages at least while queuing alone (I only just started the book and finished it very same evening).

We reached Novena at 15:55. It was cloudy all over and raining in some places we passed. I quickly made my way to the MRT station. Bought a ticket and barely five minutes after arriving, was on the train to Orchard. I walked to Takashimaya and had a late lunch/tea/early dinner all rolled into one. After that, I felt sufficiently ready to explore but it being the Saturday following Black Friday, there were just too many people out and about. I went to Bagzaar at Lucky Plaza then decided to detour to Far East Plaza. I finally found something I’ve been looking for ever since I lost one from my wrist.

I then joined the long queue at the ticket machine and bought a ticket to Kallang. From Kallang station, I walked to the National Stadium. I decided to go to FairPrice first to get some water before entering the stadium. It was a long walk in the bowels of the carpark to get to the supermarket so I was not amused when I had to dump all my water bottles before entering the stadium. FFS! I remember bringing water in when I went to watch Arsenal last year.

The show started at 20:20 and U2 did not disappoint. They performed throughout with some audience interaction thrown in. They started with Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Will Follow, New Year’s Day, bad, Pride (In the Name of Love), Where the Streets Have No Name, With or Without You, Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still and some songs I was not familiar with. Then they continued with Even Better Than The Real Thing, Beautiful Day, Light My Way and ended with One. The concert ended at about 22:20.

I joined the throng of people leaving the stadium and we slowly made our way down and out. There were some people also heading for Nicoll Highway. I had booked a 23:59 coach with Starmart with KL Sentral as its final destination. I checked in first then waited for the coach.

We left just after midnight and I must’ve dozed off because I woke up before we reached the passport control. There was hardly anyone at that hour and we breezed through the process. up the coach again, crossed over to the Malaysian side and repeat the whole process.

We made our way north and I tried to sleep. The coach stopped at Petron just before Seremban and I used that opportunity to use the facilities. The coach stopped at TBS first before continuing on to KL Sentral.

So that was my SG trip for this year. I will never travel there during school holidays again if I can help it (why did you have to come during school hols, U2?).