Thursday, May 23, 2019

Shaken, Not Stirred


I left home for work earlier than usual last Tuesday morning, 14 May 2019, and as I walked my usual route, I thought it would be great if I could arrive early and leave early so that I could water the poor plants. I hadn’t managed to do that on Monday evening, no thanks to the horrendous traffic. As usual, I recited the usual prayers while walking.

I had walked about 400 metres when a motorcycle passed by me. There were two helmeted men on the bike and as they approached a T-junction, they debated whether to turn left or right before finally turning right. It occurred to me that they were not from the area as they didn’t seem sure of where to go. I turned right too and when I walked around the corner, I saw the men heading back my way. I had started getting a bad feeling when one of the men jumped out of the bike and advanced towards me, brandishing a stick. He shouted something to me.

For some reason, I felt like I was watching a real-life drama unfolding and of course, that was what it was: a real-life drama of terror with me in the midst of it. Not to be outdone, I raised my brolly but before I knew it, I had fallen onto the road (not again! You bugger!). I don’t know if he pushed me or if I lost my balance or both. My bags were flung out off my shoulders and the two thugs left just as quickly. It all probably took all of 30 seconds. I yelled out in anger and someone in the house nearby asked what happened. I replied that I’d been robbed.

I blindly made my way back home. I called out to dad and after grabbing a RM20 note, my driving licence, a book and a small bag, dad sent me to Ampang Point from where I caught the bus to the city.

I had my handbag snatched about 200 metres away from home and also on my way to work many years ago. What I did then was lodging a police report at Dang Wangi Police Station before applying for a new Identity Card at JPN at Pertama Complex (there was a JPN office there way back when). I also went to a private clinic (a panel clinic of my employer) and also the nearest private hospital. So I decided to do the same thing.

I arrived at the office and rang up Maybank to report the loss of my cards before heading out to Dang Wangi Police Station. I was calm then but when I sat down to give my statement, I was overcome by a sudden sadness that it took some time for me to calm down before I could relate the incident.

After taking my statement, the officer typed in the report before asking me to read it. I read and suggested some minor amendments. The officer then consulted her colleagues before making a phone call to IPD Ampang Jaya. She then told me I had to go to IPD Ampang Jaya as the Investigating Officer wanted to meet me. She also filled up a yellow form and told me that I had to go for medical check-up at Hospital Ampang. I protested and informed that I’d rather go to a panel clinic. She said I could do that but I would still need to go to a government hospital as I had sustained injuries and in the event the perpetrators were caught, the police would need the doctor’s assessment of me. I don’t know why private clinics or hospitals aren’t good enough but I decided that if that was what the procedure was, I would only visit the government hospital. And had I known, I would have just gone to IPD Ampang Jaya in the first place.

So off I went to IPD Ampang Jaya. I had my statement taken again and the IO prepared her own report for her file. She then asked me to read it and sign it. I was then told to wait. It seemed that she wanted to get hold of a photographer and a car and driver to get to the crime scene. I must admit I didn’t expect them to take my case seriously.

It was a rather long wait and I asked where the bathroom was. I went to use the squat toilet and oh my, it hurt like hell. My injuries were starting to hurt alright.

The photographer finally showed up and took photos of my wounds, I suppose for the IO’s file. We waited a bit more before going down. So finally the IO managed to get hold of a car and driver. We returned to the crime scene and I gave directions. I then had to point where the incident happened and was photographed at the crime scene. The premises nearby had a CCTV; unfortunately, it was directed to the compound and not to the road and the premises owner confirmed that the CCTV wouldn’t have captured anything. So we left.

I asked the police to drop me off at the bus stop before they turned into IPD Ampang Jaya and waited for the bus to Hospital Ampang. I arrived at the Hospital at 12:35 and had to play the waiting game. When my name was first called, I went into a small room where the doctor took my blood pressure and temperature. When I came out, I saw my friend who was there to give some support. Then I had to wait again to see another doctor for a proper examination. The doctor checked my injuries and gave me three days’ medical leave as she said the wounds would hurt even more the following day. I had wounds on both knees, on my left toe (next to the big toe), a scar n my forehead, some scratches on my palms and on my head. I left almost two hours after I arrived after getting the medicine and pain killers and paying RM1 for the service.

We then went to UTC Keramat Mall so that I could apply for a new MyKad. I had to make a copy of the police report and fill up a form before the front desk issued me a number. There were five people ahead of me and my name was called after about 15 minutes. My application was processed and then I had to wait for my picture to be taken and yes, like it or not, I had to take a new picture. Ughhhh. I hate taking pictures of myself! And what more, I was sporting a scar on my forehead too! I had to don another scarf on top of my scarf as my scarf was light-coloured. I was told to wait exactly thirty minutes before getting a new number for the new MyKad collection.

True enough, I had my new MyKad about forty minutes later and yes, I looked horrible as expected. Well, no time for vanity. We continued on to join the Ramadan crazy traffic and headed for Avenue K as that was the nearest DiGi centre that could issue a new SIM card for me (I had called earlier to report of my stolen phone and SIM). I paid RM10 for the new SIM card and off we went to re-join the post-rain Ramadan traffic of Jalan Ampang.

I spent the following day recovering from my ordeal. Words can’t describe the pain and agony I suffered every time I shower and it was all I could do to stop myself from crying out loud because it was then that the wounds hurt the most. I had never eaten so much paracetamol in my life within a few days as I did last week too. And though some may advise me against reliving the experience, I couldn’t help remembering the horrors and fantasising and acting out how I would react next time (mind you, I do hope there won’t be a next time) but really, what chances do a barely 44-kg me have against not one but two able-bodied men. Oh I’m not saying it’s impossible but it’d be tough and I’d probably suffer even more injuries if I had really fought back.

I’d been pick-pocketed, snatched, had my house burgled, attacked from behind as some scum tried to rid myself of the necklaces I was wearing while working outside the house gate and now robbed. So enough is enough is enough already.

Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, remember to exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings at all times and yes, this is a reminder to myself too. Know the procedures you have to follow following an attack like the one I endured.

Perhaps it’s time for me to start learning some self-defence moves. I did invest in pepper spray and a whistle but everything happened too quickly for me to do anything. I should just wear a whistle around my neck for good from now on so I can blow on it and draw attention. But like I said before, I do hope this would be the last time ever I would encounter such evil act.