Thursday, June 14, 2018

A Bear* To Cross


So another World Cup is upon us but I don’t plan on watching as many matches as I avidly did in the previous World Cups because of the host country’s invasion of Ukraine, annexation of Crimea and military intervention in Syria. I’m not even excited to watch Germany play and it’s just not a World Cup without Italy anyway. My action may be an isolated insignificant attempt but what I don’t understand is how some people can be so vocal about the inhuman conditions that migrant workers labour in in Qatar but fail to acknowledge the far more serious atrocities done by the Russians. The blood of thousands of murdered Syrians soaks Syrian soil but hey if you have money to host a sporting event, you can continue to slaughter civilians with impunity and get away with genocide. Sick!

* The Russian bear is a widespread symbol for Russia.

And another Syawal is upon us after a month of abstinence, control, restraint, patience, reflection, appreciation and ibadah. Well, actually I’m not sure if we have been exercising restraint and control if the crowds at the bazaars are any indication. Just because we fast for a month doesn’t mean we have to celebrate Eid for a month but some people have the notion that’s how it should be and so Syawal becomes a month of wastage, much flaunting and excess. Muslims in other countries celebrate Eid for maybe a couple of days tops but of course Malay Muslims have to get some kind of payback for having to suffer in Ramadan. Come now, in this era of New Malaysia, let’s exercise prudence and not go to extremes or be extravagant.

I feel sad as Ramadan slips away. I’ll never be ready for Ramadan despite it arriving every year but when it draws to an end, I just feel sad. Please grant me another Ramadan, Allah. Ameen.

Eid Mubarak, everyone.