Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Charmed Life

I’m going to do another frivolous post today and this time I’m going to talk about charms. Specifically bag charms and includes bag accessories too. Do you do it? Do you dress and accessorise up your bags?

I read that it could be a cultural thing. For instance, in Japan, the girls there love to accessorise their bags and even have gizmos hanging from their handphones. In other countries, some women sniff their noses at this idea of accessorising one’s bags: they feel expensive bags should not be saddled with charms or accessories, nor do the bags need them in the first place. Parisian women especially don’t wear big logos and other accessories on bags. They claim they like to be mysterious and they consider too many accessories give a cheap look. They prefer to project what they claim is understated luxury or understated elegant nonchalance.

In other countries, it’s pretty much do what you love although it does look like it’s mainly Asian and American girls who like accessorising their bags, me included. I say, to each her own! I love accessories myself and hardly leave home without a fashion necklace or bracelet or rings. On some days, I may wear a couple of necklaces, a couple of bracelets and at least a couple of rings and on top of all that, I also put on a flower brooch and/or belt. If there is one accessory I don’t leave home without, it is my watch. I get upset if I somehow forget to wear my watch because I rely on it so much and my wrist just feels naked without my watch (I don’t get as upset if I leave my handphone behind so you can see which one I value more or rather which one’s absence I would feel more). So it’s a natural extension for me to also accessorise my bags with a simple bag charm or twilly (I may have even invested in some charms for shoes too but if I did, I can’t recall where they are now). I don’t go overboard (at least I don’t think so!) and I don’t accessorise all handbags that I carry, only selected ones. I don’t accessorise my Chanel bags but I do accessorise some of my Louis Vuitton and Hermès bags. Some bags are already heavy enough even without the added bag charm so I only use light charms. I also draw the line at spending on Fendi Karlito and monster bag charms: they are expensive and I don’t find them appealing.

There’s also a comment that twillies are so last decade but hey, I want to enjoy carrying my bags without having to deal with the headache and heartache of premature wear and tear on the handles. Also, twillies help absorb the oil from my hands. After all, I’ve spent a fortune on my bags so it makes sense to me to care for them in my own way.

Is bag accessorising a young thing? Well, I’m a believer of ‘you don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing’. Maybe one day I’ll grow out of it. Yeah, I can’t see a lady in her 50s still rocking bag charms but hey, fashion changes and who knows it wouldn’t look and sound so odd in the next decade or so.


What about you? Do you accessorise your bags too?