Thursday, April 06, 2017

The Beauty Of It All

I went to watch Beauty and the Beast on April Fool’s Day and was not disappointed. I watched the animation one back in 1992 (I’m still only in my late 20s by the way) four times at the theatres (yes, four!). Even then and now, I was not offended by the character LeFou, Gaston’s sidekick, who is supposedly gay. I viewed him as someone who admires and is besotted by Gaston (yeah, I’m not sure why either) and to me, that is not unusual among men and even women then and now. Why, we had the five Malay warriors (Hang Lekiu, Hang Tuah, Hang Jebat, Hang Lekir and Hang Kasturi) who were close but were not sexually interested in each other. I’m not sure why director Bill Condon decided to make the LeFou character gay but it’s not as if we don’t have previous movies featuring gay characters before. Note that in no way am I condoning this; after all, I am first and foremost a Muslim. I went to the movie without thinking of the character’s sexuality as I just wanted to enjoy it and before long, I was singing along to it. There are some additional scenes (and songs) in this version of the story which I don’t know the lyrics for.

Then as now, I left the theatres reinforced with the following life lessons:

i.   Internal beauty is greater than external beauty. Beast learnt the hard way that true beauty comes from within, about being kind, considerate and thoughtful of others and not being selfish.

ii.  Learning is a continuous lifelong process. Never ever stop learning and always be curious. Have passion in learning, discovering and exploring new things!




iii. Be yourself and dare to be different. Don’t ever compromise your personality and interests just to fit in, even if the whole village thinks you’re strange and peculiar or have gone cuckoo. Don’t limit yourself and don’t other people stop you from achieving. Embrace your individuality.

iv.  Believe in miracles and the power of prayer. Because falling in love is magic in itself.

v.   Perfection isn’t everything. We have Chip, who is a chipped cup in his enchanted life, but he’s among the important characters in the movie. Will the movie work without his character? Possibly. But it doesn’t hurt to have him and he shows that even though he’s not perfect, he can still have fun.


I may be imperfect but Im still beautiful

vi.  Look beyond what you can see because, yes, beauty is just skin deep. Overcome your fear and prejudice towards another and you might just find the other person appealing and interesting. On the other hand, a good-looking, strong and popular person may actually have evil plans for you. You just never know.

vii. Love will conquer hatred any day. It’s his hatred and fear of Beast that led Gaston down the evil path and he even managed to influence the whole village with his idea and beliefs. But despite the attack which took the castle inhabitants by surprise and the number of villagers who supported Gaston, he still lost.

viii. Don’t let fear paralyse you and hold you back from experiencing life. Don’t let fear get in the way. Push yourself out of the comfort zone, be open-minded and don’t be afraid of making friends no matter how different they may be to us.

ix.  No one knows what tomorrow brings. One day you might be in a small provincial village, the next day, imprisoned in a tower. And another day, you might discover new friends, a library, a new friend, a new feeling and who knows, a totally unexpected happy ending.

x.      Have dreams, hopes and ambitions for a better life. Above all, have faith.

xi.     Don’t settle for second best. Even Gaston knows he deserves the best.

xii.  Every rose has its share of thorns. A pretty face is not free of imperfections as Gaston demonstrates.

xiii. Wealth isn’t everything. You may be rich and live in a castle but you may still lead an empty existence.

xiv. A cup of tea never hurts. The English believe a cuppa can help make any situation better. Yes, even though the movie’s setting is in a village in France.


Tea, anyone?


Oh, and I must say that I can totally relate to the songs especially this part from Madame Gaston:

I want so much more than this provincial life
I want adventure in the great wide somewhere
I want it more than I can tell
And for once it might be grand, to have someone understand
I want so much more than they’ve got planned

This part really spoke to me when I first heard it and it still does now. I’m from the suburbs of Kuala Lumpur, a mere 6.4 km or 4 miles from KLCC so I’m hardly from a provincial town but, like Belle, I want so much more and I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. And insyaAllah, I will continue to work hard so I can go on adventures. In the meantime, I’ll dream and hope and plan of course.

(By the way, I also like the song A Whole New World from Aladdin. I always sing it when I’m on a trip.)

It may seem funny to some to draw inspiration from a movie based on fairy tales but I always believe we can always learn something from what we see and experience. And I’d rather do that than focus on something that I can just ignore like whether or not LeFou is really a gay character and whether he should be portrayed as one.