Thursday, November 17, 2016

Senseless

It has been 5 years and 8 months since the Syrian civil war started and it has not shown any signs that it will stop any time soon. In the meantime, millions of Syrians have fled their country, millions have been killed, cities and homes destroyed, families separated, prices of commodities have risen, well, generally all the usual things that take place during a war. There are those who refuse to leave their country despite the situation and I can’t blame them because it’s their country after all and why should they be driven from it? But they have to bear with the bombardment, the attacks, the fighting, fight for survival, dwindling food supply and starvation, cold weather, lack of clean water and fuel, etc.

I don’t know enough and may not be the best person to comment on the situation but I do know that it is all senseless. One man is clinging stubbornly to his power and is doing all he can to do so, never mind that he does so by violently repressing the protests for his removal. Never mind that he has the blood of his own people in his hands and that his country is now destroyed beyond words. Never mind that he has turned his own countrymen against him. He is a stubborn arrogant dictator who doesn’t think twice about massacring his own people, who doesn’t care that he drives his people away from their beloved country, who couldn’t care less that his people are struggling to make a new life in other countries. And don’t forget the UNESCO World Heritage Sites which are all now in danger.

My heart goes to Syrian and the innocent Syrians. To the poor children, most of whom are now orphans. To the parents who have lost their children. To the animals who are caught in the war (there’s a FB page called ‘Daily Life of Cats in Syria’ that I follow and Instagram and Twitter accounts. I don’t care if people call me a crazy cat lady; what I know is that cats are not evil but some humans are and they are worse than animals). I wish I can do more for them for unlike Assad, I don’t want to fail them and I don’t want their blood on my hands and conscience.

Who will help you rebuild your country now, Assad? Do you not know the moral ethics of fighting in a battlefield? Do you not know how sacred souls are that you think you can just eliminate lives just like that? Aren’t lives valuable? It is a travesty to kill innocent souls; conversely, it is an honour to safeguard innocent lives, even if it’s little cats >^..^< My heart bled when I saw the tweets yesterday and early this morning. Damn you, Assad, damn you to hell and back.

How much longer is this madness going to last? Until all innocent lives have been wiped out? What is the world doing about it? The United Nations? I keep asking myself what I can do and can’t help feeling helpless and useless. The only thing I can do is to pray that this senseless stupid war will end very soon.


If you’re looking for a cheery blog post today, I’m sorry. I don’t know how we can go on about with our normal lives when there are people dying, starving, being oppressed in Syria, Palestine and Gaza, Iraq, Myanmar and Afghanistan. Allahuakbar. You know best, Allah.